Wish Add support for notes file

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I tend to like to document some things in a separate document, but still contained in the project directory. Think of it as a simple scratch pad, or notes that aren't really comments about specific code.

In the case of B4X it's simple to put a notes.txt in the project dir and then use Sublime Text or whatever to edit it. But considering that B4X works with text, it kind of makes sense to allow editing of said file from within the IDE.

So I propose to add editing support for text files that are not code. My best guess is that the simplest way to handle this would be to simply create a new # directive, for instance #IGNORE. That way we could add a new code module (for instance) and start the file with #IGNORE and then happily type away without the IDE trying to parse or use what's in the file.

An Schi

Licensed User
I know that is not what you are asking for ;)
@wonder way to use comments was an inspiration for me. Have a look at some of the code he posted. I try to do it like him and have a good and structured documentation within my code.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
So I propose to add editing support for text files that are not code. My best guess is that the simplest way to handle this would be to simply create a new # directive, for instance #IGNORE. That way we could add a new code module (for instance) and start the file with #IGNORE and then happily type away without the IDE trying to parse or use what's in the file.
You can add excluded text with:
B4X:
#If Comments
'sj dklf sdf
sf wefweg
fwe
gw
eg
weg
#End If

The text color will be light grey. You can change it by modifying or creating a new theme file.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's clever, works fine. All modules seem to require some sort of boiler plate subs so the file can't just be notes though. The best option seems to be to use a Code Module, it just requires a process_globals. Preferably no subs would be required, but this works fine. Thanks