Android Question Android version versus UI B4A/B4X versions

ViMeAv ICT

Licensed User
Longtime User
I made an app for an terminal with android 8, a few years ago.
Now I had to change a few lines. I used the latest B4A/B4X version.
I could not install the updated app.

Using my old laptop with old B4A gui worked like a charm. I changed the old code and could install the app.

But now, how can I update older apps, using the newest version of B4A/B4X?
Or do I have to keep older version of B4A/B4X?

MicroDrie

Licensed User
You should just be able to load and compile the old program source code with the latest version of the IDE. Various Android rules have been tightened up and it is also possible that an external library has been replaced by an internal library. In that case you have to throw away the old external library version. What is also useful nowadays is that recent libraries display a version number. By clicking on it you can get the latest version for the internal and external libraries version. You also need to update the SDK Manager version.

Upvote 0

ViMeAv ICT

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I load and compile the old program with the latest version of the IDE and change deprecated functions like msgbox and doevents, it works ok on an android 9 terminal.
However, on the android 8 terminal i only get the message [program cannot be installed].
I will check this with the bridge and debug, maybe there's something else wrong on the android 8 terminal.
Maybe the old app should be removed before update.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
However, on the android 8 terminal i only get the message [program cannot be installed].
The most common cause of this message is that the version you are trying to install has an earlier version number than the one already installed on the device. Uninstalling the existing app might cure this.

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
An other trick is to make a new Android program and copy and paste the new manifest file content over the old manifest file content. don't forget to add the additional manifest program rules to add if they are needed.

Upvote 0