iOS Question App ID (Apple Developer Account)

simplypats

Licensed User
Longtime User
IOS 12 introduced the need to allow "Access WiFi Information" under the App Services options on the "Registering an App id" page in the Apple Developer Account, which is a feature used by our App.

The ability to use the "Access WiFi Information" service is only available when using an Explicit App ID Suffix.

Am I correct in thinking that when setting up a new App ID for use with the B4i Hosted Mac Builder, that we can only use the Wildcard App ID option as the App ID Suffix?

Regards Carl

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
IOS 12 introduced the need to allow "Access WiFi Information" under the App Services options on the "Registering an App id" page in the Apple Developer Account, which is a feature used by our App.

The ability to use the "Access WiFi Information" service is only available when using an Explicit App ID Suffix.

Am I correct in thinking that when setting up a new App ID for use with the B4i Hosted Mac Builder, that we can only use the Wildcard App ID option as the App ID Suffix?

Regards Carl

I couldn't totally understand the question but when setting up a new app id for use with b4i hosted builder, you can use explicit app id , wildcard id is to be used only when building the bridge app.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's almost correct. You can use wildcard ids and explicit ids all the time. The hosted builder is not relevant at all.

You must use a wildcard id when you build the bridge. There are some iOS features that require an explicit id. If you need them then switch to an explicit id. Note that you can always switch from a wildcard id to an explicit id.

Upvote 0

simplypats

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel and Tufanv for your replies.

Although we have been developing on iOS for 2 years+, I am not ashamed to admit that we still find the whole process with regards to setting up App ID’s, Certificates, Provisioning Profiles and all the other procedures required a little confusing, possibly because it’s something that is not done frequently.

Can I just clarify, our app needs to use features that require an Explicit App ID, in this case “Access WiFi Information”.

We need to test the App on our local iOS devices in the office using the Hosted Mac Builder, which in turn requires running the B4i Bridge on each device.

Given that we need to use an Explicit App ID to do the above and test the functionality and code relating to certain features that use the Access WiFI Information, is it possible to use the Hosted Mac Builder?

To understand our needs further I will explain in more detail below.

• Our App communicates with an Electrical Test Meter via WiFI.
  • The Test Meter has a built in WiFi controller and acts as a WiFi Assess Point.
  • Each Test Meter broadcasts a unique SSID, no different to your router.
  • The User selects the SSID from their available WiFI devices on their device and enters the password, at this point their iPhone or iPad is now connected to the Test Meter via WiFi.
  • They then need to enter the SSID (printed on the back of the Test Meter) into the App.

The above on iOS 12 requires that we use the Access WiFi Information Service, as the App has code to determine which Test Meter the users device is connected to.

If you are interested, a YouTube video shows setting up the device and tester using the Android version, but it’s the same for iOS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxhxw9TyuSQ

And if you are really have too much time on your hands, you can see it in action here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVUtq8fZ8Dk

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel and Tufanv for your replies.

Although we have been developing on iOS for 2 years+, I am not ashamed to admit that we still find the whole process with regards to setting up App ID’s, Certificates, Provisioning Profiles and all the other procedures required a little confusing, possibly because it’s something that is not done frequently.

Can I just clarify, our app needs to use features that require an Explicit App ID, in this case “Access WiFi Information”.

We need to test the App on our local iOS devices in the office using the Hosted Mac Builder, which in turn requires running the B4i Bridge on each device.

Given that we need to use an Explicit App ID to do the above and test the functionality and code relating to certain features that use the Access WiFI Information, is it possible to use the Hosted Mac Builder?

To understand our needs further I will explain in more detail below.

• Our App communicates with an Electrical Test Meter via WiFI.
  • The Test Meter has a built in WiFi controller and acts as a WiFi Assess Point.
  • Each Test Meter broadcasts a unique SSID, no different to your router.
  • The User selects the SSID from their available WiFI devices on their device and enters the password, at this point their iPhone or iPad is now connected to the Test Meter via WiFi.
  • They then need to enter the SSID (printed on the back of the Test Meter) into the App.

The above on iOS 12 requires that we use the Access WiFi Information Service, as the App has code to determine which Test Meter the users device is connected to.

If you are interested, a YouTube video shows setting up the device and tester using the Android version, but it’s the same for iOS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxhxw9TyuSQ

And if you are really have too much time on your hands, you can see it in action here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVUtq8fZ8Dk

Hello Erel would probably give you better answers for this but I am writing in case you need a quick answer:

1)Forget about the app, just create a wildcard id first and build b4i bridge app on all devices you need to test the app later.
2)after you install the bridge on all devices, forget about the wildcard and use the explicit id and needed features with your app and build the app on your devices with the help of installed bridge app.

another approach is, forget about wildcard totally, use the builder link to download the apps to your test devices ( which you will not need the bridge, use safari to navigate to for example: builder.b4x.com:51041/userid and download the app to test evices , you wont need the bridge but I am not sure if this is ok with Erel.)

Upvote 0

simplypats

Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent Tufanv, thanks for your quick reply.

We can try this later, as well as any other input Erel has.

Great help guys, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0