Android Question Are the any full fledged demo programs? + more

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am a total newbie with B4A but I have some experience with Java based Android developtment.

I have a few questions:
  1. There are lots of small demos demonstration particular concepts. But I would very much like to load a full fledged app into the IDE and learn from that. Are there any such examples? Preferable not games.
  2. From what I have seen from the demos, the UI looks very much Android 2.x like! Are there any examples utilizing a more modern look, preferably Material Design or at least Holo?
  3. How do I add a Java library? Specifically I would like to add jsoup
  4. How do I trigger the popup help text in the IDE after it has closed? Currently I need alter the line a bit to trigger, like deleting the left paranthesis and add it again. Ctrl-Space does not work.
  5. More a wish, but: In addtition to the popup help text, would it be possible to add context sensitive help to the IDE so that if I press F1 on a keyword, it will open the browser on the specific page in the the documentation?
Martin

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. There are many examples on the forum and in the guides here: http://www.b4x.com/android/documentation.html
Some of them are larger than others. You will need to search a bit.
2. B4A applications use the native UI. If you run your app on Android 4.x device then it will use the holo theme. That is unless you are loading a really old example. In that case open the manifest editor and add android:targetSdkVersion="14".
3. See the libraries developers forum. Note that you can use JTidy library to parse html.
4. Pressing on the spacebar should show the tooltip, unless you pressed on escape to hide it.

Upvote 0

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
1) Will have a look
2) Ok, that might be the case for some of the examples
3) JTidy looks interesting
4) Yes, I mean after the tooltip is closed (eg. with escape), how do I invoke it again? In some IDE they use Ctrl-J for that.

Upvote 0

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. There are many examples on the forum and in the guides here: http://www.b4x.com/android/documentation.html
Some of them are larger than others. You will need to search a bit.

First I want to thank you for the many useful tutorials and examples. They are really helpful!

I have worked through nearly all of them and I still miss a complete app to learn from, though. I mean an app with menus, preferences, actionbar and so, all which makes up most apps. To learn how to tie all the bits and bites together.

Are there any such apps, eg. open source, to learn from? The flappy birds clone are there, but it is a game and something quite different.

2. B4A applications use the native UI. If you run your app on Android 4.x device then it will use the holo theme. That is unless you are loading a really old example. In that case open the manifest editor and add android:targetSdkVersion="14"

Yes, that makes a huge difference. Many of the examples are quite old (but still valid and useful) so the styles of these look a bit old fashioned.

Upvote 0