Android Question AVD Emulator problems following SDK upgrade

Michael Carroll

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry guys, newbie question relating to the B4A environment and ADB. I'm currently working on getting up to speed with B4A and I'm using B4A v8.00

I was using the older version of the Android SDK and I was getting so many errors and strange things happening with builds, I uninstalled it and installed Android Studio v3.1 with the SDK installed in c:\android-sdk which sorted all the build problems for once and for all.

I have one problem now in that I can't get the B4A AVD manager to work at all. When I run it, I can't see the list of pre-installed devices. The Create button also doesn't work. It also doesn't recognise that HAXM is installed, even though it is. Everything works fine from Android Studio.

I realise there are alternatives and better solutions to using an AVD emulator but when you're getting up to speed and playing a lot, it's hard to beat it for convenience.

Has anybody else come across these problems or maybe even have a solution or a suggestion?

Thanks everybody

Johan Schoeman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Browse the web. There is a setting in your BIOS that needs to be changed. You will have to restart your computer, go into the BIOS settings, change the value, save it, and then allow the computer to continue the boot up process. I had the same problem.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was using the older version of the Android SDK and I was getting so many errors and strange things happening with builds, I uninstalled it and installed Android Studio v3.1 with the SDK installed in c:\android-sdk which sorted all the build problems for once and for all.
This is not the correct way to work with B4A.

You need to use B4A Sdk Manager: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html#installation

Upvote 0

Michael Carroll

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have uninstalled Android Studio and followed the installation guidelines to the letter. Everything is now working fine, including the AVD Manager even though it's still complaining about HAXM... which won't cause any problems as I'm just using the AVDs for convenience. All the build problems I was having drove me to Android Studio, which seemed to have sorted the problems, even though it was obviously causing others as well.

Erel, thank you so much for your help once again.

Upvote 0