Android Question B4A 5.0 Beta: autocomplete/intellisense

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Is there a way to tweak the autocomplete/intellisense a bit so that it resets the search counter at each keypress ?

It is too slow and when I typed a line I really have to wait for the chars to appear.

Worst case making it optionally behave like before (ctrl + space)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
just did some quick typing again and it seems chars display one every second.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I notice that the variable log window is also updated at every keypress, maybe that's part of the slowdown aswell.

should be enough for me if that one is only updated during compile.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The IDE was heavily tested with large code files (more than 30,000 lines each). The performance is mostly not affected by the code length.
The main thread never blocks while something happens in the background.

With that said, if you are running it on a slower computer (maybe with a single core) then the background tasks can slow down the main thread.
I will try to add an option to disable some of the features.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's a Dell Precision M4300 laptop so it's a dual core Intel Centrino box. All other soft I use runs fast on it.

also notice that the filter lists too many results aswell. enter "aa" on a new line and it populates that listbox with everything having 2 a's somewhere in the command (not next to each other)

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just double checked with the new B4J IDE, it is faster in that one just like I recalled.

maybe the keyword list to search through is shorter in the B4J IDE?

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for beta 3, @Erel.

It didn't solve my issue yet so I went for other tests.

I installed the beta on my 13 year old single core 2.6GHz Dell Dimension desktop.

The same result is to be seen there.

Looking around on the net I see a lot of posts about slow autocomplete/intellisense in Visual Studio's so I fired up VB.NET 2010 which I have installed there.

Surprisingly the intellisente/autocomplete is instant there and no delays at all. (Never noticed it in the Notepad2 Mod either that looks through every word in the open document for autocompletion)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I installed the beta on my 13 year old single core 2.6GHz Dell Dimension desktop.
I don't think that such a computer is relevant for performance testing. I tried it on several moderately old computers and the performance was good.

Anyway the next update will include an option to disable the implicit auto completion.

Upvote 0

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
I too find the "intellisense" lagging but maybe i'm just too fast for it ;)

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that such a computer is relevant for performance testing. I tried it on several moderately old computers and the performance was good.

that is like avoiding the issue. if VS and other editors are not lagging on that feature at all than it means something is wrong with the current implementation.

see for the compare with B4J which I mentioned earlier that is a lot faster.

when I keep pressing a letter in B4A nothing appears till I release the button and wait a few more seconds till it went through all lookups or source checks.

I still have to find another editor that has this kind of behaviour.

My guess is that the problem is the log update (see attachment) that seems to go over the entire source on every keypress, maybe that should only be done at line change or compile?

def_log.png

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
forgot to mention that I agree that you give priority to the compile problems that keep people stuck and I'm willing to test custom builds in advance related to this issue.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok, I opened it with that parameter.

wrote a few dim lines and closed it again.

the log is attached.

Attachments

• B4A_log.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see in the log that it uses .NET 4.0, I don't think I updated to the .net that was in your first post. Will do that now but it didn't gain any speed in the designer when I did that on the other machine.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the installer reported that I already had that .NET 4.0 installed. (it's an XP and the other an Windows 7 box)

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
is it possible to split it up in

[x] Enable Autocomplete
[x] Enable log updates while typing

?

if the 2nd is the cause I can still benefit the autocomplete.

thanks.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
well you always have a theoratical and the practical side of a programming story :)

If you don't try you never know for sure.

the slowdown is there on my machines and different OSs so it's not a single case.

I'll see if I can track something on those machines.

Upvote 0