Android Question B4A and 64bit apps for new Android versions

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the end of Oct 2018
How do you come on this date????

Check the link you posted. Aug 2019

Google force target sdk 26 in Oreo this year. That´s not a new info.

Upvote 0

Indic Software

Licensed User
Hello Don,

May be not for you! But it is new info for me so I am interested in know as to how does B4A handle generating 32bit (for older version of Android) and 64bit apps (for Android Oreo and higher).

Of it is dependent of which target SDK we have set in the manifest?

Regards,

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i can not answer about 64bit apps. And, as we do have a year to go, i´m not interested in investigating it at this time.
I´m sure there will be a solution for B4A

About Targetsdk 26: android.jar / targetSdkVersion / minSdkVersion

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if you are using a problematic library in your app then it would apply to your app for sure. Until you get new libraries containing 64bit natives.

So, just to be clear, if I do NOT use a problematic library (and most of the B4A libraries are NOT problematic), then the B4A compiler already automatically generates APKs that will meet Google's 64-bit requirement on 8/19?

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, just to be clear, if I do NOT use a problematic library (and most of the B4A libraries are NOT problematic), then the B4A compiler already automatically generates APKs that will meet Google's 64-bit requirement on 8/19?
After reading the article last night, my understanding is that apps written in Java (which B4A apps are converted to before being compiled) are not native apps & are therefore not required to be 64bit.

- Colin.

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont know. I did not wote b4a and for me it is not 2021 and there is as of today no need for 64 bit.
And based on Erels answer i do not expect any problem.

I do care in 2021.

Native apps that don't include 64bit support won't be able to be uploaded to Play Store (new or updates) from 1 August 2019. Only Unity apps built using v5.6 or older will be allowed until August 2021.

- Colin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Fyi - native Android apps are built using the Android NDK (https://developer.android.com/ndk/). For B4A developers it seems the only potential issue with the 64bit requirement is any library you might be using that contains native code.

- Colin.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont know. I did not wote b4a and for me it is not 2021 and there is as of today no need for 64 bit.
And based on Erels answer i do not expect any problem.

I do care in 2021.

I am confused why you are mentioning 2021 because the article I posted said that all NEW and UPDATED apps posted to the Play Store NEED to include a 64-bit version by Aug of THIS year (2019 - in 6 months).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
why you are mentioning 2021
Extension: Google Play will continue to accept 32-bit only updates to existing games that use Unity 5.6 or older until August 2021.
That was my reason.
Erel mentioned somewhere that it only applies to app using native .so file which needs to include an 64bit native in future.
Only a few libs are problematic so i do not care about. Even if it will be in 6 months. I am using 64bit java on a 64bit Windows 10 PC.
I´m positive that the apks generated by B4A will meet the requirements in 6 Months... Maybe we need a new version with a new compiler. I don´t know. But i´m sure Erel do have plans already.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am curious what Erel will say regarding this issue..

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
He already did.

Yes, but Erel's reply was to this Google post from over a year ago that specifically ONLY specified "Native Libraries":

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-and-performance.html

Whereas the newer post is broader and not limited to just "libraries" but to the overall "app" and SDK's:

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html

I have no idea if the 64-bit SDK's requirement mentioned in the new post applies only for third-party SDK's or also apply to the SDK's we download using the SDK manager.

So my post was simply asking if Erel's response is still the same in light of the newer/broader post from Google.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Whereas the newer post is broader and not limited to just "libraries" but to the overall "app" and SDK's:
Yes. You can read there
All new apps and app updates that include native code are required to provide 64-bit versions in addition to 32-bit versions when publishing to Google Play.

Upvote 0