Bug? b4a bridge can't connect to b4a 11.0, but works on 8.3

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've never used the bridge before due to the lack of a home network. now that I have one, I figured I'd upgrade my b4a from 8.3 to 11.0 but when I try to connect to the bridge it connects and then immediately disconnects, waits a second and does it all over again, over and over. So... I reinstalled 8.3 along side 11.0 and it connects to the bridge app perfectly. definitely something going on there with the newer versions of b4a.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Make sure to install a new SDK (delete the old one!) with the new b4a as the SDK has changed.
Follow the instructions carefully: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Make sure to install a new SDK (delete the old one!) with the new b4a as the SDK has changed.
Follow the instructions carefully: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html
hi don! I uninstalled b4a 8.3 and deleted both the old /java and /android folders, for a fresh new install, then I followed erel's video install precisely with new versions of java, android and b4a. all the paths are configured correctly. bridge works with 8.3 on my system, but not with 11. no worries, I've never gotten the bridge to work in the past so I'm not missing anything. I've never used the designer, and after I compile a project, I email the .apk to my s10e for troubleshooting. thx for the help tho

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not related to B4A version.

My guess is that you had two running IDEs trying to connect to the same device. This will cause the effect you describe, as each IDE "steals" the connection.
no sir, as I explained to don, it was a fresh install. 8.3 was no longer on my system. when it wouldn't connect, afterwards I reinstalled 8.3 beside 11 and then it connected just fine to 8.3

best wishes

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi JesseW - long time no see! I have had no trouble with B4ABridge on any B4A version, including v11, nor with with any of my numerous phones. Firewall issue?

In the light of your past interest have you seen this? I cribbed the keyboard and some other constants in the Script module from you to avoid typing them out again!

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi JesseW - long time no see! I have had no trouble with B4ABridge on any B4A version, including v11, nor with with any of my numerous phones. Firewall issue?
hello Andrew!!! yes I've been missing this place. got tight on $$ and ended up with a 70-80hr/week job and never any spare time. better now šŸ˜ its good to be back!
In the light of your past interest have you seen this? I cribbed the keyboard and some other constants in the Script module from you to avoid typing them out again!
im going to have a good look at this later this week. thank you! btw... I added IIf as an external sub but 11.0 broke it. I simply removed the function and it compiled, but haven't had time to see if its gonna work or not.topic for another thread I suppose. thx for reaching out

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
I purchased a new 8" tablet, and it connected fine to b4A 11, via b4a Bridge, after my phone would not. Got to thinking that the install of the bridge app was interrupted by an incoming text message or something, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. It then proceeded to download and install the designer and now runs fine.

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
Hello everyone, I have a recent Smartphone SONY XPERIA 1 III running Android 11 and B4A-Bridge worked perfectly until the XPERIA system update this morning and since then it is impossible to use B4A-Bridge that I uninstalled and reinstalled in vain. What can I do?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
since then it is impossible to use B4A-Bridge
More detail needed. B4A_Bridge from the store works fine on my updated Android 11 and 12 phones. Uninstall it., then reinstall it and carefully note and post what permissions it requests on installation.

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
Yes, thank you, I'll do that. Indeed, during the reinstallation, I had several requests for authorizations ...

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
1 >>> Please allow B4A-Bridge to install applications >>> OK

2 >>> Allow this source >>>(Button). Your phone and personal data are very vulnerable to attacks from unknown apps. By installing applications from this source, you agree to be solely responsible for any damage to your phone or loss of data that may result from the use of such applications.

3 >>> the "display over other apps" permission is required on Android Q+ devices in order to allow B4A-Bridge to start other apps while in the background >>> OK

4 >>> Allow B4A-Bridge to access photos, media and files on your device?
Authorize X
Refuse

After these 4 successive operations, I tried again to use B4A-Bridge but it still does not work, the name of my Smartphone that was displayed before the update no longer appears, so I choose the proposed IP address (192.168.1.44) and the message "connection attempt" remains stuck pending

Last edited:

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
No, I wrote the two possible answers that were displayed but I clicked on the first one i.e.: Authorize
Excuse me, my use of the English language is far from perfect !

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Installation looks OK. You can check to see if your computer can see the phone. Open a PowerShell or Command window and type

ping 192.168.1.44

If that works then the networking looks OK but it would seem the update did something to stop B4ABridge being seen by the IDE. I'm afraid that I have no further suggestions to make.

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
I did what you advised Agraham, first with an MSDOS prompt and then, to my surprise, my Smartphone was recognized by B4A !!! So thank you a thousand times for your patience and your good advice! Kind regards. Marc

Capture.JPG

Capture.png