Wish B4A SDK Manager

MikeSW17

Licensed User
As per instructions, after a clean re-install of B4A I did NOT run SDK manager.

Later, I needed one single component (happened to be "com.android:signflinger" but could be anything).
[Not wanted for a B4A project either, but to copy to Android Studio SDK as I couldn't find it there]

I opened SDK manager, entered signflinger in the filter/search box, ticked the one item, and pressed Install.

Surprise! it downloaded masses of stuff... of course all the 'Recommended' items were still ticked, but they were hidden by the filter.
Maybe I'll have to do (yet another) clean install.

Point is: Could the SDK manager either IGNORE hidden (but ticked items) or WARN before downloading that ticked, hidden items, exist?

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
As per instructions, after a clean re-install of B4A I did NOT run SDK manager.

Later, I needed one single component (happened to be "com.android:signflinger" but could be anything).
[Not wanted for a B4A project either, but to copy to Android Studio SDK as I couldn't find it there]

I opened SDK manager, entered signflinger in the filter/search box, ticked the one item, and pressed Install.

Surprise! it downloaded masses of stuff... of course all the 'Recommended' items were still ticked, but they were hidden by the filter.
Maybe I'll have to do (yet another) clean install.

Point is: Could the SDK manager either IGNORE hidden (but ticked items) or WARN before downloading that ticked, hidden items, exist?

Well, I know what you are talking about. I have had experience with it couple of times.

So now, anytime I am going to search for a particular item, I make sure, I wait for recommended Items to load, then I UNSELECT all before I do the search and install.

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Why would you need to do that, especially once everything is working as expected once you've install the recommended items, plus any extra items that you may need for your apps???

I think this needs some clarification from @Erel
B4A instructions state " Note that you don't need to run B4A Sdk Manager, unless you want to use the Android emulator, which is less recommended." (So, everything B4A needs is in the 'Required Resources' and 'SDK Command Line Tools' downloads) except for specific resources you may need for your App.

Presumably B4A is 'paired' with the versions in those downloads.

Erel does not state that Recommended Items are or should be needed. Presumably Android might at any time release new component versions in Recommended that won't play fair with B4A - I'm sure it has happened.

The question for @Erel is:
Should the B4A SDK Manager be used 'routinely' to keep recommended items 'up to date' or not.
If yes, the installation notes should be ammended accordingly. (https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html)

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are plenty of occasions when I've had to run run B4A SDK manager to add extra resources to get apps to build correctly, plenty of times. I also do regular backups of my development machines (as we all should do), which includes my Android_SDK folder.

Since day one I've always installed the recommended updates (which Google appears to release every week or two). I suppose that I can see why Erel would says what he says, but I for one have not really had any issues constantly installing updates (plus as I do regular backups, I can always rollback the Android_SDK folder). Actually that's not strictly correct. I once had the emulator stop working, a few days later an update fixed that issue, it stopped working after an update. I suppose that Erel is just using the old saying, 'If it isn't broke, don't fix it' (with updates) ;)

Should the B4A SDK Manager be used 'routinely' to keep recommended items 'up to date' or not.
Erel will probably say no, even though I do. I personally have no idea if Erel himself installs the recommended items on a regular basis, probably not. All I know is that I do with basically no issues...

Enjoy...

MikeSW17

Licensed User
There we are. That's why I suggested @Erel might be the best source of clarification.

My original post was made as there may be times (and has happened) when a developer needs to use a specific SDK item version.
While possible, it's not easy to uninstall individual SDK items(s) that were 'accidentally' installed', assuming you even noticed an update had been installed.

Seemed 'better' to me that selected but hidden (by filter) SDK items shouldn't be installed - at least without warning.