Other B4A v9.0 BETA has been released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release B4A v9.0 BETA. Most of the steps in the compilation process were rewritten and compilation is now much faster. This update also includes many other important improvements.

Improvements:
  • Compilation performance (about 2 times faster for first compilation and up to 4 times faster on following compilations).
  • Bookmarks and breakpoints are listed in the modules tree:

SS-2019-03-19_16.35.17.png
  • Auto backup improvements:
    • Project is saved before backup, based on the auto save option.
    • Project name added to the backup file.
    • The project folder is configurable (AutoBackupFolder in the ini file).
  • Warning for unused parameters in private, non-event, subs.
  • Additional library folder can be configured with a B4X folder for cross platform libraries: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4x-additional-libraries-folder.103165/
  • #Event declarations appear in the autocomplete list.
  • Fix for a long standing issue that caused scope changes of global variables to not always be detected.
  • Workaround for Android issue (https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/113122354) that caused services to fail to start in some edge cases. This is based on the automatic foreground mode feature.
  • Copy to clipboard option in the permissions dialog.
  • Missing maven resources can be added to the internal or additional libraries folders.
  • com.google.auto.value-auto-value-annotations added as an internal library. This is a missing maven resource that required by Firebase libraries.
  • B4XCollections, B4XFormatter, B4XTable, XML2Map and XUI Views are internal libraries.
  • Foreground services permission is added automatically. Required when setting targetSdkVersion to 28.
  • CreateResourceFromFile(Macro, Core.NetworkClearText) - Required when setting targetSdkVersion to 28 when communicating with non-SSL servers.
  • Application.Icon works with adaptive icons.
  • FirebaseAdMob v1.53 - Fixes an issue related to targetSdkVersion 28.
  • Files are listed in the removal dialog.
  • OkHttpUtils2 v2.81 - Includes a call to Service.StopAutomaticForeground (related to the workaround discussed above).
  • Other bug fixes and minor improvements.

An email with upgrade instructions will be sent to developers who are eligible for free upgrades.

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello

If I want to down grade back to 8.8, as I am not too sure if there is a error in my app or if it is the Beta 9.0 (most likely not), in relation to background services running, will this be an issue ?

Regards

John.

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
With this version, in my big proyect, i get this message inc:\tmp\imerrora lot of function/subs

imerror.jpg

Variable 'ba' no usada.
var BA never used (my transalate)

Always say 'ba' and the are not defined any ba var.

I had the same, if you make any of these subs public, the warning goes away.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
If I want to down grade back to 8.8, as I am not too sure if there is a error in my app or if it is the Beta 9.0 (most likely not), in relation to background services running, will this be an issue ?
No.

did you implement incremental compilation?
Many improvements were made in the compilation process:

- Most resources are being reused between compilations.
- AAR libraries, such as Google Play Services and Firebase libraries, are unpacked once. This makes the "organizing libraries" step very fast.
- Optimized dexer was optimized and it prepares more things in the background (when MultiDex = False).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Two things"

1. It takes some time for the optimized dexer to precompile the libraries. So if you open the project and immediately compile, the performance gain will not be full.
2. You might get even better results if you increase MaxRamForDex. Set it to 4096 if there is enough RAM on your PC.

Upvote 0

Gunther

Licensed User
Longtime User
after 2nd complie: (the MaxRamForDex was remaining on 8192 on an i5)

upload_2019-3-20_13-34-2.png

After some coffe break just pressed again Compile: (all fine - just let you know)
upload_2019-3-20_13-51-24.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iz0ndg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have this error by compiling a source that with version 8.80 is compiled correctly.

B4X:
B4A Versione: 9.00 BETA #1
Analisi del Codice.    (0.29s)
Building folders structure.    (0.10s)
Compilazione del codice.    (0.88s)
Compilazione del codice di layouts    (0.06s)
Organizzazione Librerie.    (0.00s)
Generazione file R.    Error
ERROR: Unable to open class file gen\turnariovf\giordanif\Manifest.java: No such file or directory

I have reinstalled version 8.80 and the error does not appear ....
java is version jdk1.8.0_201 and Android is up to date

With Beta #2 the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks Erel ;)

Upvote 0

Kwame Twum

Licensed User
Longtime User
Getting this error even on BETA #3

B4X:
B4A Version: 9.00 BETA #3
Parsing code.    (0.30s)
Building folders structure.    (0.03s)
Compiling code.    (4.37s)
Compiling layouts code.    (1.67s)
Organizing libraries.    (0.00s)
Generating R file.    Error
ERROR: Unable to open class file gen\com\excellium\wsh\Manifest.java: No such file or directory

This is happening to multiple projects that work fine with 8.8 so I'm sure there's nothing wrong with my projects.

Upvote 0

Kwame Twum

Licensed User
Longtime User
hello Erel, been able identify the issue yet? I'm unable to compile any of my projects now.
Even after reinstalling 8.8, I still get the same error with the projects (which wasn't there previously). Could the 9 beta have installed some configurations causing this?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.