B4A Library B4A XML file help viewer

The xml files that describe a library to Basic4android contain the descriptions of object members that are visible in the the IDE Intellisense. In addition they can also contain, as my library xmls do, an overall description of the library itself and of each object within the library. This information, for the official libraries, is shown in the online help but is not accessible in the IDE.

Here is the latest version of my Basic4Android help viewer which displays the same information as the Basic4Android IDE and online help but in a more compact format. I have updated it to show overall library and object help. Brief help is shown when it is started. Select an object to see the overall help for that object, if any. Load a library xml file to see the overall help for that library, if any.

This viewer is the only way, at the moment, that this information can be viewed for my libraries, and for the official libraries on the desktop. I have one or more copies of it open all the time as a reference and have found it invaluable to explore Basic4Android.

EDIT:- Version 2.0 posted. See post #5 for details.

EDIT:- Version 2.1 posted. See post #7 for details.

EDIT:- Version 2.2 posted. See post #12 for details.

EDIT:- Version 2.4 posted. See post #29 for details.

Download link: www.b4x.com/android/files/B4AHelp2.4.zip

Last edited by a moderator:

mjcoon

Licensed User
Here is the latest version of my Basic4Android help viewer...

My interest in Basic4Android is a bit nebulous but I tried downloading this assistance.

It turns out to be only 22.4Kb (not cited 50+) and fails to unzip. I tried Cntrl-F5 and repeat but no change.

It currently says "0 views", so perhaps no-one else has tried yet...

Mike.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've just downloaded it and it is the full 57Kb and unzips fine for me. :confused:

User Cor says the zip is empty in my Reflection library thread. Perhaps it is something to do with the fact that the forum is supposed to be accessible only to registered users of Basic4Android - though I would have expected an error rather than a corrupted download in that case. Perhaps Erel hasn't got this forums settings quite right yet.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Agraham,

thanks for this program which is really very useful.

May I suggest 2 things:
1) would it be possible to add the possibility to iconize the program?
2) put a link to the forum? Many times I am reading the help furnished through your program but then I realize that there might be information in the fourm which could be useful. It would be nice just to open the forum-link, instead of opening up the browser and look for the shortcut.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Version 2.0 now posted implements the changes requested by moster67. In addition the author of the library, if included in the xml file, is now displayed. The search function is improved to return partial matches to the supplied search pattern rather than an exact match as before.

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi agraham,

nice tool!

Two suggestions from my side:
1. Save the last library path on exit. Every time at startup I'll get the annoying "Libraries not found!" message, and have to select the right path/files again. Even an .ini file for a preset path will be helpful.
2. Start both webpages with the default browser insted of the IE. I think a lot of people like to use an alternative brower.

specci48

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
nice tool!
That can have another meaning in colloquial English :)

Every time at startup I'll get the annoying "Libraries not found!" message
I guess your Basic4android is not installed in the default folder. I've got a small mod to do to cope with links in the help text so I'll take a look at this and alter the browser startup.

tremara1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Becoming invaluable

This little app has been a huge help with getting to grips with the newness of the way we access libs. I am having a ball with this great platform...

philgoodgood

Licensed User
Longtime User
bonsoir

:sign0098: agraham
very nice

Last edited:

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
File Type: zip B4AHelp2.2.zip (68.8 KB, 502 views)

For some reason MalwareBytes (v1.51.2.1300 Database: 11/19/2011) thinks the B4AHelp.exe (232KB 12/17/2010 9:49AM) file contains a "PasswordStealer.Agent". I have to scan the .exe file before it complains about the "trojan". It won't complain if it scans the .zip file.

I am using the free version of Malwarebytes and I can't find any way to submit the file to Malwarebytes.

I thought you should be aware of this false positive.

Widget

P.S. B4AHelp.exe is a very nice program. Saves me oodles of time searching for stuff.

BorisC

Licensed User
Longtime User
default path

Works great, except for the annoying "Libraries not found". Yes, I havn't installed B4A in the default path, but since I have installed B4AHelp in the same folder, I would expect B4AHelp to search for a sub-folder Libraries relative to its location.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Once you have selected a Basic4android library or an Additional library the paths should be saved on exit in B4aHelp.ini. Check its contents. I can't see any reason why the new paths shouldn't be being saved but if not you can try editing it. My B4aHelp.ini looks like

B4X:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4android\Libraries\
C:\Android\Basic4Android\Basic4Android Libraries

BorisC

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the fast reply. For some reason, the first path was C:\, but a manul edit fixed it, it now works as expected.
:sign0098:

wizard699

Licensed User
Longtime User
Malwarebytes found problem

Hi Andrew.
My licence of Malwarebytes found in your exe a

Backdoor.MSIL.Pgen

What's the problem?

Thanks in advance