iOS Question B4i reinstall causes compilation errors

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Hi,
This is my very first post so my apologies if it is in the wrong thread or something…

I have and use both B4A and B4i on a virtual Windows 7 machine hosted on my MacBook by VMWare Fusion. All my files though ,live on my Mac in my home directory. Last week, for painful reasons, I had to completely restore the Mac from a TimeMachine backup. Everything came back with the exception of the VMWare virtual machines. I thus had to reinstall Windows 7 and the B4X packages. B4A was relatively easy and worked quite quickly (I could compile/download/run MyFirstProgram successfully).

B4i was more of a challenge. I downloaded the 5.30 package, added my licence key and set up the paths (see screenshot). I use the Mac for building so started the build server running, set the Buildserver settings Tools->Build Server->Server settings (screenshot). I used Chrome to check it (https:172.16.1.79:51042/test) and it worked fine. I also set the Tools->Device IP Address to point to my iPhone and the B4i-Bridge attached smoothly.

I then tried to build the simple app and got a ‘mobileprovision’ file error (screenshot) which I can’t seem to get around. I have all the correct files (screenshot) (including a mobile provisioning file) because until last Thursday it all worked fine. Therefore it must be something simple that I haven’t done which is causing the errors. Because of this, I am loathed to go through all the Apple developer stuff again.

Can anybody point out where I have gone wrong please?

Thanks,
John.

Attachments

• b4i_files.png
    b4i_files.png
    354.4 KB · Views: 277
  • b4i_CompileError.png
    b4i_CompileError.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 290
  • b4i_Bserver.png
    b4i_Bserver.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 293
  • b4i_paths.png
    b4i_paths.png
    42 KB · Views: 271

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As I can see,
You have the provision file under /keys/test folder but for the path setting you have set /keys , therefore provision file cant be found
Hi,
This is my very first post so my apologies if it is in the wrong thread or something…

I have and use both B4A and B4i on a virtual Windows 7 machine hosted on my MacBook by VMWare Fusion. All my files though ,live on my Mac in my home directory. Last week, for painful reasons, I had to completely restore the Mac from a TimeMachine backup. Everything came back with the exception of the VMWare virtual machines. I thus had to reinstall Windows 7 and the B4X packages. B4A was relatively easy and worked quite quickly (I could compile/download/run MyFirstProgram successfully).

B4i was more of a challenge. I downloaded the 5.30 package, added my licence key and set up the paths (see screenshot). I use the Mac for building so started the build server running, set the Buildserver settings Tools->Build Server->Server settings (screenshot). I used Chrome to check it (https:172.16.1.79:51042/test) and it worked fine. I also set the Tools->Device IP Address to point to my iPhone and the B4i-Bridge attached smoothly.

I then tried to build the simple app and got a ‘mobileprovision’ file error (screenshot) which I can’t seem to get around. I have all the correct files (screenshot) (including a mobile provisioning file) because until last Thursday it all worked fine. Therefore it must be something simple that I haven’t done which is causing the errors. Because of this, I am loathed to go through all the Apple developer stuff again.

Can anybody point out where I have gone wrong please?

Thanks,
John.

Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Tufanv, you’re a star. So silly but I stared at it a hundred times…

I’d like to report it all working but strangely it isn’t. I can now build an app and download it to my phone - but only as a release version. In debug mode (after cleaning the project), B4i-Bridge invites me to install the app then the screen goes black, there is the flash of a message (with possibly an IP address) being written to the screen, then it immediately crashes. Sometimes, instead of crashing, I get a black screen with a white band just below the “Page 1” and it just sits there. Sometimes, the IDE shows the debugged program running, sometimes it stops immediately.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Thanks Erel, I changed the 64bit to 32 bit but unfortunately that didn’t fix it. I even rebuilt B4i-Bridge as per your tutorial.

The screenshot shows the build server settings. I get the following results: I start B4i-Bridge on the iPhone, compile the null program (called Nullll), B4i-Bridge offers to install it (screenshot). When i tap ‘Install’, the screen goes blank (screenshot) and the status line on the IDE says that it is waiting for the device. Eventually, this times out. Looking at the iPhone, the icon is greyed out, as it is when starting a download. This is different behaviour to when the architecture was set to 64bit when it downloaded okay but crashed. The release version continues to work fine.

Still confused…
John.

Attachments

• b4i_ipicon.jpg
    b4i_ipicon.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 231
  • b4i_ipblank.PNG
    b4i_ipblank.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 239
  • b4i_ipinstall.PNG
    b4i_ipinstall.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 224
  • b4i_bserversettings.png
    b4i_bserversettings.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 214
  • b4i_status.png
    b4i_status.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Back to 64bit. Yes, it always works in release mode. The project is just your simple "Hello world" program.
Maybe I have to take a deep breath and go back through the Apple Developer process to create new provisioning files etc...

Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
It must be something simple I have not done on the re-install. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Nullll.zip
    14.4 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Yes, the app icon appears on the home screen (screenshot). If compiled in release mode, it works. In debug mode, it normally crashes immediately. Occasionally (it just happened now) I get a black screen with a white band at the top (screenshot) and the IDE stays connected (screenshot).

Attachments

• b4i_ipicons.jpg
    b4i_ipicons.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 229
  • b4i_ipscreen.PNG
    b4i_ipscreen.PNG
    22.9 KB · Views: 226
  • b4i_status.png
    b4i_status.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Many thanks for that Erel - It works fine using the hosted builder, both the debugger and the Designer!

This leaves me even more confused! Firstly, everything worked fine using my MacBook as the local builder right up until last Thursday when I lost the Windows Virtual machine. Secondly, the builder is simply a .jar file that is simply executed. The version of Java on the Windows 7 is Java SE dev kit 8 update 201 (64 bit) and on the Mac: Java version 1.8.0_201 (64 bit) which looks as if it is the same. Both the hosted builder and my local Mac builder produce a good Release app, it just the debug version where it goes wrong.

The only thing I can think of doing is junking absolutely everything (including the Virtual machine, and Apple files) and starting again - unless you have a simpler suggestion.
John.

Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
OK, done that and also:
  • Removed everything out of the keys file, gone back to the Apple Developer site and rebuilt the files.
  • Rebuilt the builder again in case it uses files in the keys folder
  • Cleared out /Users/john/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles
  • Rebuilt the builder again in case it uses those files
  • Re-installed the Root Certificate on the iPhone and built the B4i-Bridge using both the hosted builder and the local builder
Nothing has changed. The Hosted Builder produces working versions of both debug and release whilst the local builder only produces working release versions. I did notice though that when I used the Hosted builder a dialog appeared saying “few days” (most of the dialogue appears off screen so you can’t read it all) which I guess means that it is about to disappear.

The only thing I haven’t done is to re-install the Windows VM and B4i.

John.

Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Really sorry to be a pain guys, but…

Since my last post (By the way, I don’t own a Windows machine any more), I have done the following:
  • Updated Vmware Fusion to Version 11.0.2 (latest)
  • Rebuilt Windows 7 VM from scratch, Installed B4A (worked fine) and B4i. Didn’t do any of the Microsoft updates since there were serious problems with the Jan 2019 update.
  • Updated Xcode to Version 10.2 (latest)
Nothing changed, still OK with release build, crashes on Debug build. I then remembered the Simulator and ran it on that. Exactly the same effect - but now I could look at the system log (attached). I restarted the Simulator at 13:40:58 then ran the Debug version of Smiley (Erel’s bouncing Smiley demo) at 13:46:23 which immediately got a Segmentation Violation (SIGSEGV) and died but interestingly the next line says that the ‘monitored resource’ vanished! I did it again with the empty app (after File Menu->New) which is about as simple as you can get and the same thing happened at 14:25:58.

One other strange behaviour, which may be totally unrelated, is that while all this has been happening I have (randomly) lost my Google and iCloud passwords and when I try to reenter them I get an error. Only a reboot of the Mac fixes things. This didn’t happen all the time I was rebuilding the VM but started again when I resumed compilations. It never used to happen before all this trouble. I did notice though that the B4iBuilder adds IDs to the keychain and over the course of playing, has created keychains for both ‘john’ and ‘b4i_default’.

Does any of this latest chapter ring any bells?

John.

Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Sorry, forgot to attach the system log. I had to rename it system.log.txt because the uploader wouldn't take 'system.log'!

Attachments

• system.log.txt
    290 KB · Views: 562
Upvote 0