B4J Question B4J installation fails on Windows XP 32 bit

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I've B4J 6.00 installed on my old develop machine with Windows XP 32 bit, this works well and I've used it any day
for a long time, I've updated B4J several times because I use it from first release, and any time updated successfully.

Today I've decided to update to latest version (7.51) and the setup return me an error "Not valid 32 bit application".

Because I have 6.00 installed I have Net Framework 4.0 installed too.

I've tried to download several times, maybe wrong or corrupt download, but not changes at all, the setup start and
then return this error.

Is the latest B4J now compatible only with 64bit machines?

Many thanks

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Any suggestion?

Is this related to B4JPackager11 packager that works only on 64 bit and it is included from release 6.80 ?

Upvote 0

amykonio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Any suggestion?

Is this related to B4JPackager11 packager that works only on 64 bit and it is included from release 6.80 ?
I don't believe the packager is involved to that issue. I guess that it's a restriction from the installer... Maybe there are some changes in B4J that prevent it to run in XP?
What I can say is that v.7.32 is the last setup that seems to run in XP.
upload_2019-9-7_9-58-38.png

Anyway It's a bad idea to use B4J with XP because:
  • XP isn't supported since 2014, I believe
  • The most recent java 8 sdk and jre that can be installed on xp is I believe 8u152. And this is also to old.
Also you have to consider to upgrade to an x64 os, as think that java 9+ are available only in x64 releases...

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-7_9-56-48.png
    upload_2019-9-7_9-56-48.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks to all for replies,

yes XP is no longer supported as operating system but I work very well on it, I know that there is a time to upgrage it but at the moment I have no pc capable to run other operating systems like Win7, Win10, my pc is old, is an DELL Optilex GX620 Genuine Intel Dualcore 2.8 Ghz with 2GB of ram, so I need a new computer at all.

On my pc I have B4A 7.30 installed too and works well, I use B4R too but I've some problems because any time I compile it do a full compilation and require many time to compile, this not happen on Arduino IDE itself, it make a full compilation only a first time I compile, then recompile require just some seconds.

Here the problem seem to be related to 32-64 bit systems, not win XP itself, maybe on WinXP 64 bit the setup works.

Is there a way to download 7.32 release? I need to follow the changelog to find a download?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
I will try, but now I will get Win 10 ;) or 7

But I can't find a download of 7.32 release, I will follow changelog, go to page of release, but when i click on download link it send me to B4J download page to download the last version.

Where I can find B4J 7.32 release ?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But I can't find a download of 7.32 release, I will follow changelog, go to page of release, but when i click on download link it send me to B4J download page to download the last version.
this is expected

Try this Downloadlink. Good to have Backups :D

Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks to all for very great support and interest.

Window 10 Lite... it's free ?

Have a very good day ;)

Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks @DonManfred ;););)

Because you are expert on B4J and B4A I have a good notice for you and other users, these days I will release a lots o free new libraries I've developed in a very long time of 4 years. About 20 new working libraries and tested on all my applications with a lots of bug-fixed.

Now that are working I can release on the forum. For almost all libraries I've wrote a counterpart for B4J and B4A. Even I developed some libraries for B4R and ESP8266 and ESP32 chips.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the problem is not B4JPackager nor B4J that doesn't support XP but Erel's upgrade of innoSetup to v6.0.

repackaging it with 5.9.x and minor changes to the install script makes the installer work fine on XP.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
correction...

it installs fine and is 100% identical compared to my intall on my Windows 10 machine but I only get a black screen after the splash screen.

maybe something inside the exe is not supported anymore on XP (.net related?)

Edit: 7.32 installs and works fine out of the box.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have Net Framework 4.0 installed. I confirm that 7.32 works well and 7.51 do not install.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
you dont need a powerful pc to run win 7 or even 10
i use win 10 on my 1Ghz cpu laptop with 2 gigs of ram works fine not the fastest but 100% usable

You use Win 10 64bit on a 32 bit machine with 1Ghz cpu? This sound very strange to me.
And what about B4J 7.51 it install?

The error on my installation seem to be related to 32-64 bit because my pc is 32 bit cpu, as @sorex said the setup is maked with InnoSetup 6.0 that works only on 64 bit, the 5.9.x is the latest working on 32 bit machines.

After this the setup start but there are maybe some workaround with .net because it only show a black screen after a splash screen.

Please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Some my friends tried to install Win10 on Atomic PI, if you don't know it, it is like a Raspberry but is a first ecomomic x86 Single Board Computer and cost about 35$, it has Intel x5-Z8350 1.92 Ghz Atomic 64 bits Quadcore CPU, 16 GB of internal flash and 2GB of ram and 480 Mhz Intel GPU, with Win10 not super fast because has only 2GB of ram but I think it is most powerful than your 1Ghz laptop and even than my pc. I think next days I will try it as my new development machine to substitute my olds pcs.

On Atomic PI you can install any Windows version, Linux Ubuntu, Raspbian, Android and what you want, it's a real x86 very small and fast computer.

If you interested here a description and one video on that it can do:

We're RPi lovers, and the UP board is nice... but it's about price and performance. We feel there's a market for cost-effective x86 maker board. Thus was born the ATOMIC Pi. Genuine Intel Atom x5-Z8350 quad core with 2M Cache. Runs up to 1.92GHz with a 480MHz GPU. Eats RPi for dessert. Beats some desktops. Loaded with memory: 2GB DDR3L-1600, 16GB eMMC, slot for SD expansion (up to 256Gb). Full HDMI port with Intel HD Graphics & audio out USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports On board peripherals include: Fast dual band WiFI b/g/n 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi RT5572 IPX connectors on board Bluetooth 4.0 CR8510 Gigabit hardwired RJ45 Ethernet RTL8111G 9-axis inertial navigation sensor with compass BNO055. TTL serial debug and expansion serial ports up to 3.6Mbps Real time clock & battery JST style connectors and a 26-pin header for power & GPIO. Runs on 5V. Typically 4-15 watts. Power supply and wiring sold separately. Legitimate licensed BIOS boots from SD, USB, or Ethernet. Linux comes pre-loaded in flash. Optional breakout shield with screw terminals for easy wiring and USB debug port. Well documented at the component level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's the same with B4A 9.50 beta. The installer fails with the same error "Not a valid Win32 application".

This is of course not a surprise if the problem is called by Erel's new version of InnoSetup as he most likely uses the same installer for all his dev apps.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Years ago, I successfully developed B4A using my trusty XP machine - and loved every minute of it...
Then one day - my apps would not compile.
Spent many days trying to resolve the issue - reaching out for help - to no avail...
The ONLY solution was to purchase a new PC (laptop) with Win 8.1.

Still using it today - and still loving every minute of it.

I repeat, there is ONLY ONE solution to your issue. ( XP - RIP... )

Upvote 0

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks Erel for your reply ;)

Upvote 0