Other B4J v6.0 BETA is available for download!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release B4J v6.00 BETA. This is the largest update to the IDE since the release of the new IDE.

Several important components were rewritten to provide more features and better performance:
  • Visual designer properties grid
  • Visual designer views tree
  • Modules tree (new component)
  • Files tree
The major improvements are:
  • Code modules can be loaded from other folders and can be easily shared between projects (including projects targeting other platforms):

share-gif.61938

• Modules and file tree support grouping:

SS-2017-11-26_17.10.05.png

• Modules are monitored for external changes.
  • Files tree shows the files icons and allows opening the files with external editors:

SS-2017-11-26_17.12.24.png

• Modules, files and views can be renamed directly from the relevant tree.
  • Full support for drag and dropping files and modules, including support for dragging multiple items.
  • B4A services and activities can be shared with B4J. They will be treated as static code modules.
  • New options when adding modules:

SS-2017-11-26_17.30.03.png

Copy to folder: Copies the module to the project folder (same as the current behavior).
    Link - relative path: Adds a link to the module with a relative path. Useful when the folder is under or close to the project folder.
    Link - absolute path: Adds a link to the module with an absolute path.

• Deleted files are moved to the recycle bin.
  • Properties grid and views tree can be filtered.
  • Properties grid is much faster and includes new types of editors:

SS-2017-11-26_17.15.19.png

SS-2017-11-26_17.15.53.png

• Better support for version control. Files are only written when the contents are actually changed.
  • The modules internal attributes are sorted in lexicographical order to reduce changes.
  • Button Click event. The new event replaces the Action event. The Action event still works but doesn't appear in the autocomplete list. The Click event is the same as in B4A and B4i.
  • Previous animations are cancelled when a new animation of the same type starts. This behavior is similar to the behavior in B4A and B4i and it makes it much simpler to work with animations.
  • jXUI library is now an internal library.
  • Debugger hover window is resizable.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements.

The beta version can be downloaded here: www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe

As this is a beta version it is recommended to backup your projects before opening them in the new version.

Updates:

Beta #3:
  • Bug fixes.
  • Code editor color picker is based on the designer color picker.
  • Add New Modules / Existing modules menu items in modules tree.
  • Open file with default program in Files tree. Also works with double click.
  • Support for opening multiple files at once.
  • Better handling of locked files.

Beta #2 is now available. It fixes the issues discussed in the following posts.

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Generating members from the visual designer while in debug (running) mode still does not show any warning (?)
A wish not yet implemented I guess...

Upvote 0

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Running an application with an old layout file msg.fxml which is in the files folder I get:
B4J Version: 6.00 BETA #2
Parsing code. (0.03s)
Compiling code. Error
Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\B4J_beta\msg.fxml'.

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel - Thanks for the release! The new tree views are a game changer..... However, please add an "Add Module" menu item to the Modules Tree right-click menu.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel - Thanks for the release! The new tree views are a game changer..... However, please add an "Add Module" menu item to the Modules Tree right-click menu.
Also, if still possible the ability to create groups and move subs into them without having to create regions, would be great

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
However, please add an "Add Module" menu item to the Modules Tree right-click menu.
Note that you can drop modules into the tree directly. You can also copy modules files from Windows Explorer and paste them in any of the groups.
I will add the two options to the tree as well: add new module, add existing modules.

Generating members from the visual designer while in debug (running) mode still does not show any warning (?)
Why do you need a warning in this case? It should add the elements in debug mode. They will not affect the running program but the code should be there.

Running an application with an old layout file msg.fxml which is in the files folder I get:
Will be fixed.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why do you need a warning in this case? It should add the elements in debug mode. They will not affect the running program but the code should be there.

I didn't noticed that way, I from my wish, I was expecting a warning... I'll check it again

Upvote 0

rwblinn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the update and the many great new features = WELL DONE.

In a first test, did not came across issues.

EDIT 2017-11-27: Posted these nice-to-haves to the forum B4J Bugs & Wishes.

While testing, a few nice-to-haves came to mind (saw also other in this thread) - open for any other thoughts.

Files Manager open file with associated application by double click
Double click on a file to open would be a handy feature. F.e. the designer or texteditor to change a stylesheet (CSS) etc.
(instead of right mouse click > file manager > double click)
The open designer link is then not required anymore.

Files Manager configure External Editor using FileChooser
The configure External Editor dialog shows a textarea to copy a path,
Having a add, edit, remove option would be easier to manage the pathes.

Files Manager to create a new file
The files manager enables to add files via right mouse click, but not to add a new file, f.e. a stylesheet.
Having a new file option would be easier to manage additional files.

File Close Project Option
File > Project Close option to be able reloading an other or new project

B4J IDE Color Picker list of standard colors
Drop down box to select the JabaFX standard colors instead of entering or find in the color palette.
OR use the same color picker as the designer.

Libraries Manager XML Viewer
Finding out the properties & methods of a library is tedious as either add the object to then use tooltip to see the properties & methods or go to the help site.
Right click on library to open up a viewer showing the properties & methods from the XML file, would be a helpful feature.

Modules Sort by Code Entry
The modules are sorted per default by alphabet.
Option to sort according code order would be helpful for structuring the code.

Modules List Inline If Java Section
This might go beyond the core of B4J having the Basic Langauge as default, but in case Inline Code is used, showing Java (or other InlineC B4R...) methods would be helpful structuring & selecting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPak

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have installed v 6 twice in a new folder and have not found the Tabs to show.

The Tabs at bottom right are not showing the Library for selection.

Attachments

• libs.PNG
    libs.PNG
    2 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0

mfstuart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Installed the beta into a new folder and opened an existing app.
I received the following error when trying run it.

B4X:
B4J Version: 6.00 BETA #2
Parsing code.    Error
Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\B4JBetav6\1.fxml'.

The 1.fxml is in the app project folder, not in the above referenced folder.
Looks like it is using the B4J default folder for the layout file, instead of the app folder\Files folder.

Upvote 0

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
In my case:

On modules tab: Right button: Add Group
e.g "Code Group"

and then project> Add New Module> Code Module

The "Code Group" group disappears.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The 1.fxml is in the app project folder, not in the above referenced folder.
This issue is fixed for the next beta.

The Tabs at bottom right are not showing the Library for selection.
Menu - Windows - Libraries Manager or Reset

On modules tab: Right button: Add Group
e.g "Code Group"

and then project> Add New Module> Code Module

The "Code Group" group disappears.
This is the expected behavior. Empty groups will disappear when the tree is updated. It happens because the group information is stored in the code modules. This means that empty groups are not stored anywhere.

Upvote 0

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the expected behavior. Empty groups will disappear when the tree is updated. It happens because the group information is stored in the code modules. This means that empty groups are not stored anywhere.

I Got it.

The same is happening with the tab files.

You are always right and do a great job. Please, just consider keeping information about groups stored in parallel elsewhere. This would make the tree view more functional.

Upvote 0