B4J Question B4JPackager

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have used the B4JPackager to generate a Windows exe file.
Unfortunately, when I try to update it or to unsinstall it in the Application Manager, I get a message that I need an authorization from the Administrator, eventhough I am the Administartor.

upload_2017-11-6_12-53-24.png

When I uninstall it, most of the fles are removed, but these two remain and cannot be deleted:

upload_2017-11-6_12-48-54.png

My system is Windows 10 64bytes.

Did anybody encounter the same or similar problem?
If yes, could you solve it, if yes, how.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Works fine here (Windows 8.1 64 bits)

Are you using File.dirapp for something in your app ? (you must use File.DirData as state in Erel instructions on B4JPackager Post)

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you using File.dirapp for something in your app ? (you must use File.DirData as state in Erel instructions on B4JPackager Post)
No, I tested it also with a very very simple project, just a Layout with a Label.
The program works, updating or uninstall gives the problem.

Attachments

• TestExeFile.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Right click on unins000.exe and choose Run As Administrator. Does it work?
Is a question for Klaus ? (here works deinstalling from Control Panel or clicking on unins000.exe as my user -I'm administrator-/running as Administrator)

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately no.
Currently the content of this folder are the remaining files after uninstalling them fom the ControlPanel.

Right clicking and run as Administrator, I get the dialog below:
upload_2017-11-6_17-30-4.png

Windows cannot access the drive, the folder nor the file.
You don't perhaps not have the appropriate authorisations to access the element.

When I display the properties of the file, click on Security I get the dialog below:
upload_2017-11-6_17-46-18.png

Propriétaire: Impossible d'afficher le propriétaire actuel.
Owner: Impossible to display the current owner.
Clicking on Modifier (Modify), I get again a dialog saying that I don't have the authorisations.

Clicking on Continuer, same problem.

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This happens to me a lot with one application: PDF XChange Editor. For some reason when I install a new version, it somehow uninstalls the previous version improperly and then the install cannot install the new version into the same directory under "C:\Program Files". I then have to take ownership of the directory, including all content, delete the directory and then install the newer version of the application. I have not found yet a reason why this is happening (now and then). It looks like ownership is taken from the directory before all files are deleted. Why? No clue.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you happen to have the B4j IDE open and have a file from the folder in the files tab?

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you happen to have the B4j IDE open and have a file from the folder in the files tab?
No. I even restarted the computer.

Are there multiple accounts on your computer? It seems like an ownership issue.
Before your post, googeling around, I found a site in French with a similar procedure, unfortunately none of those work !?
I always get the dialog, not having the authorisation.

Will try to google further.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you have the fall update installed on windows 10 ?
I found I had to grant access to some directories, that windows now protects, for individual programs, otherwise windows simply blocks ANY changes to files.
ie, Notepad++ was unable to edit any xml file in my extra libs folder until I granted it permission.

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

bvonlaar

Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks like a bug or some misconfiguration in your Windows.
B4J packager is a GUI interface above the Java packager tool. The Java packager tool uses inno setup to create a windows setup program. I don't know why it causes this permission issue.

The problem isn´t focussed only upon one configuration. Klaus has the strongest effect. Klaus and my son tested the same program where the error occured first. The errors aren´t really reproducable. It happens with Windows 10 and Windows 7. In the case of my son it was only possible to locate the problem in the Packager generated exe-modul. The original JAR-File don´t cause any trouble if Java is already installed.
I personally have no trouble, but a third tester had also trouble. And we have all no idea why.
Is there a possiblity of a bug or missconfiguration in the inno setup?
Benedikt

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel, remember how the different Inno version (32Bit/64bit) gave me trouble with my B4X-Launcher v2, where a few 64bit users did not get to see a few images in my gui... May this be related to Inno ?

Upvote 0

BPak

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use IObit Uninstaller which will remove all the dependencies even into the Registry. Usually Windows can leave files behind if they were not installed.

Upvote 0