B4J Question B4JPackager11 & Windows11, any problems known?

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's my problem:
Development environment: Windows10
Target environment: Windows 10 & Windows 11

When I want to distribute a finished B4J project, I have a stand-alone package created with the built-in B4J packager, zip the directory and I can distribute this zip file. Perfect.
If the programme was already installed on a Windows10 computer that was then updated to Windows11, there are no problems.
On a new computer with Windows11, the programme does not start or has a strange appearance and crashes.

When creating the package with the Packager, a small EXE file is created. I assume that this is some kind of wrapper that then prepares Windows for the JAVA application and starts the application.
Fix: If you search for compatibility problems via the context menu of this EXE file, some are found and fixed by Windows. After that, the programme runs without any problems. Has anyone ever had this problem?

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
What do you mean with "Packager"? You should use the built-in packager feature.

Erel, I refer to the built-in packager. I may not have expressed that clearly in my post. Sometimes it is difficult to describe problems in another language...
Is it possible that the problem occurs because I create the package under Windows10, install it later then on Windows11?

If you create a distribution with the built-in packager, the finished project is stored under ...B4J/objects/temp/build.
I pack this folder, can distribute the zip file, unpack it on another computer and start the programme.
This is done by starting a small exe file, which is usually named projectname.exe.
Exactly this file has a compatibility problem under windows11. The build was created on a windows10 computer. The programme starts briefly and then crashes without error message.
When examining the exe file using right click and then testing for compatibility problems, windows11 finds a problem, corrects it and everything works.

I am not sure now if this could be a general problem or if it is only because the build was created under windows10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think Windows 10 and Windows 11 has much difference or have issue in compatibility.
Inside the build folder there is a run_debug.bat file that can give you hints of any errors when the program crashes.

Upvote 0

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User

@bdunkleysmith

As far as I understand the function of Inno Script, it builds a package that then runs via the Windows installer. This is not desired in this case, as the installation of additional programmes is prevented via the company's group policy.
Distributing the application as a zipped file, unpacking it and then starting the EXE file, on the other hand, is possible without any problems.
If I have misunderstood with Inno Script, I will be happy to be corrected. As I said, I have never tried it.

Upvote 0

bdunkleysmith

Licensed User
Longtime User
As far as I understand the function of Inno Script, it builds a package that then runs via the Windows installer. This is not desired in this case, as the installation of additional programmes is prevented via the company's group policy.

Yes, in that case the single file installer created by Inno Script is not suitable for you and I feel your pain because I have faced that limitation myself at times.

Unfortunately I can't offer any other ideas because I've no experience distributing the package, but best of luck finding a solution.

Upvote 0

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
As @aeric pointed in post #4, Run the Debug Batch file, which will give you a command interface alongside and LOGS where the crash is coming from.
Sounds promising. Will do that next time. Have to wait for a new fresh "victim". On computers migrated from Win10 to Win11, no problems...

Upvote 0