Share My Creation B4X Launcher

B4X-LAUNCHER
Version 3!!

The Graphical aspect has been completely redone, and is now less intrusive and slick.

The main changes are:
  • 8 Configurable Extra-Apps Launcher
  • Ability to launch either of the 4 B4X iDE's (B4A, B4I, B4J and B4R) with a blank project.
  • Ability to launch the IDE with one of the "recent projects" listed
  • Listed Recent Files now only show accessible files

The Color Scheme of as well as Anywhere Software logo are used with the implicit authorization from @Erel.
This said, B4X-Launcher is in NO WAY affiliated, endorsed or even approved by Anywere Software and must not be thought as part of the companie's software bundles.

I created this Launcher out of my own need, and decided to share it so that others that share this need can profit from it.

To avoid the previous release problems with the EXE packager, and since 99% or the users of this launcher already have Java installed, I provide only the JAR file.

Special Thanks to:
@lemonisdead for the beta state feedback
@rwblinn for his code snippets on how to add a tooltip to images
@Erel for his snippet on how to grab any file's icon

Notes: This final release has some minor differences from the previous Beta version, Listed as Follows:
  1. Only 8 External Apps can be launched, instead of the previous 10.
  2. A system tray icon has been added, with it you can perform 3 actions:
  • Launch the Settings, the settings icon is no longer available in the main Launcher.
  • Launch the About dialog, the info icon is no longer available in the main Launcher.
  • Exit the Launcher.
I will not be compiling this into an executable, if you wish, you can compile it yourself.

Attachments

• B4X LOGO.png
    B4X LOGO.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 7,447
  • B4X-LauncherV3.jar
    394.9 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:

DMW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow! Beta 3 is totally changed and to the better!
So far so good although it takes some time to get use to it.
Thanks!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Entering the pre-candidate release state, I detected some features needing rework, and that some other rework was needed to add a couple of final features...
So at this point, B4X-Launcher is in after Beta / pre-Alpha state...
Candidate release should be out by monday

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is excellent @Cableguy,
One quick suggestion though, it would be nice if any B4X apps that have not got a preset folder route just disappear. For example if you do not use B4i thus you do not put a folder route in, then the B4i icon should disappear the other icons should move together. I kow that you use all the B4X family of products so it does not apply to you but it would nice a nice touch.

I like it and will most probably add it to my start menu...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Peter,

Thanks for trying it out. The main reason why I didn't incorporate the "disappearing icon" feature is that, by adding it, the user still knows that it's not installed/configured but is still aware that it exist...
I don't use b4i just yet, and I can almost bet about 90% of B4x users don't use the full suite set.
This said, and although I am quite pleased with my launcher, it's not 100% complete and still lacking 2 or 3 features... So a new version will eventually be released...

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Peter,

Thanks for trying it out. The main reason why I didn't incorporate the "disappearing icon" feature is that, by adding it, the user still knows that it's not installed/configured but is still aware that it exist...
I don't use b4i just yet, and I can almost bet about 90% of B4x users don't use the full suite set.
This said, and although I am quite pleased with my launcher, it's not 100% complete and still lacking 2 or 3 features... So a new version will eventually be released...

I don't use B4i either, that's the only reason why I made the comment. I really do like your launcher, what a great idea for developers that use multiple B4X products on a near daily basis.

New version in the future, I've just started to watch this thread :D

Thank you...