Share My Creation B4X Launcher

B4X-LAUNCHER
Version 3!!

The Graphical aspect has been completely redone, and is now less intrusive and slick.

The main changes are:
  • 8 Configurable Extra-Apps Launcher
  • Ability to launch either of the 4 B4X iDE's (B4A, B4I, B4J and B4R) with a blank project.
  • Ability to launch the IDE with one of the "recent projects" listed
  • Listed Recent Files now only show accessible files

The Color Scheme of as well as Anywhere Software logo are used with the implicit authorization from @Erel.
This said, B4X-Launcher is in NO WAY affiliated, endorsed or even approved by Anywere Software and must not be thought as part of the companie's software bundles.

I created this Launcher out of my own need, and decided to share it so that others that share this need can profit from it.

To avoid the previous release problems with the EXE packager, and since 99% or the users of this launcher already have Java installed, I provide only the JAR file.

Special Thanks to:
@lemonisdead for the beta state feedback
@rwblinn for his code snippets on how to add a tooltip to images
@Erel for his snippet on how to grab any file's icon

Notes: This final release has some minor differences from the previous Beta version, Listed as Follows:
  1. Only 8 External Apps can be launched, instead of the previous 10.
  2. A system tray icon has been added, with it you can perform 3 actions:
  • Launch the Settings, the settings icon is no longer available in the main Launcher.
  • Launch the About dialog, the info icon is no longer available in the main Launcher.
  • Exit the Launcher.
I will not be compiling this into an executable, if you wish, you can compile it yourself.

Attachments

• B4X LOGO.png
    B4X LOGO.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 7,472
  • B4X-LauncherV3.jar
    394.9 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X-Launcher v2.0 released!

Check Post #1 for details, screenshot and download link!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I need more sleep...
Not your fault, the link is for an "un-official" version 2.1, and was posted in the BUGs sub-forum to demonstrate a BUG in JavaFX, according to EREL.
I will be re-working the main Layout, and perhaps introduce a few new things, like "Fixed" external Tools.
Take it for a spin, and let me know what you think of it... feedback is always welcome

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @Cableguy

A couple of thoughts:
1. Single instance. I have it on a hotkey and it will run 2 or 3 times.
2. Disable b4x products you do not use. I never use b4r (maybe one day) so it just takes up space.

OK, I like it!!!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @Cableguy

A couple of thoughts:
1. Single instance. I have it on a hotkey and it will run 2 or 3 times.
2. Disable b4x products you do not use. I never use b4r (maybe one day) so it just takes up space.

OK, I like it!!!

Thanks for the thoughts...
1 - I will be looking into that... I plan to polish the launcher a bit further...
2 - the reason I kept the 4 IDEs Launch Button, is that, if not present, the "user" may even not be aware that other IDE's exist! plus, to accommodate the 3X2 external tool icon+name, I needed the space!

DMW

Licensed User
Longtime User
First of all, thanks for an excellent loader. I'm a power user myself of this kind of tools (I have my own tool for VB6, Excel and VB.NET) :)

Sometimes projects are renamed/removed/deleted, when I select a non-existence project I would then like to see that a dialog is showed where I'm asked if I want to keep it or delete the entry. It that way the list of available projects reflects only available projects.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am developing a v3, and will take that into account.
Glad to see it's useful to someone else than me... That keeps us going!

[EDIT: I'm thinking of, when he list is created, to check for file existence... Thus only existing files/correct paths will be listed

Reactions: DMW

DMW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great!
Agree, better with a pro-active approach.

Another idea I ask You to consider is, add NotePad++ and DB Browser for SQLite (Free, please see http://sqlitebrowser.org/) as default tools.

Edit: If not the tool is installed, direct the user to the site.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another idea I ask You to consider is, add NotePad++ and DB Browser for SQLite (Free, please see http://sqlitebrowser.org/) as default tools.

Edit: If not the tool is installed, direct the user to the site.

I don't want to endorse B4X external tools, I prefer to give the user the ability to add their own "frequently used" tools to a quick launch... And he is not limited to apps, as a link to a folder can as easily be added.

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X-Launcher V3 Beta2 is available on first post.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, for now, no bugs reported for version 3 so I will be polishing and finishing it in a few days.
Thank you to the ones that did test it out.

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just tested it, it's cool, but I cannot find a way to exit the application :eek:

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
ah I found it.. you just rightclick on the minimized form and chose close, since there is no other way to exit the application B4X must always stand by ;)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The way to exit the app is part of the last stage, which B4X-Launcher has entered, so do take it for a spin...
I have watched two bugs that have not yet been reported, and a few other polishing ops are due.
Hopefully will release within the week