Android Question [B4X] MacBook Pro M1 M2 ARM

Mike1970

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everyone, im planning to buy a MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon processor.
I know that is possibile to run Windows 11 through Parallels.

The question is: Can I continue to use Anywhere Softwares (B4A, B4i, B4J) with it? or there are some cases in which there will be limitations or problems?

Thanks in advance, I hope that someone is in the same situation and can help me understand what is better to buy between "Macbook Intel" or "Macbook M1".

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Mike1970

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm asking out of total ignorance about Macs. Can Parallels run x86 and/or x64 code on an M1 or M2 Mac?
Uhm actually It's what I'm trying to understand also... because as far as I understand the version that Parallels runs is Windows 11 on ARM, and actually I tried on a M1 of a friend of mine to install B4A and it works. This is all I know.

Upvote 0

Mike1970

Licensed User
Longtime User
On the arm macbook so far only with B4I, but I don't see why B4A and B4J shouldn't work.
But I have already read somewhere in the forum that someone is developing on an arm macbook with B4A and emulator.
Thank you.
Anywhere Softwares are the only thing why I still need windows.
So having this working also on Windows on ARM means a lot to me :D

Upvote 0

JeffT

Licensed User
Can Parallels run x86 and/or x64 code on an M1 or M2 Mac?
No.
Parallels runs Windows ARM version
Windows ARM has an X86 emulation, which then allows intel apps to run. (Much like the M2 Mac has Rosetta to enable Mac intel apps to work)
The difference may not be important, but there are layers of emulation going on there.

Upvote 0

Mike1970

Licensed User
Longtime User
No.
Parallels runs Windows ARM version
Windows ARM has an X86 emulation, which then allows intel apps to run. (Much like the M2 Mac has Rosetta to enable Mac intel apps to work)
The difference may not be important, but there are layers of emulation going on there.
so B4A and B4i will be emulated. right?

Upvote 0

JeffT

Licensed User
Should work fine.
havent tried it yet myself.. M2 just got here
Im planning on using Crossover for most of my 'run a windows app' needs... its worked with everything else I tried so far

Upvote 0

Leandro Vaufran Stievano

Licensed User
For me M2 has worked using Parallels to run B4A and B4i, including compiling with the local constructor (in the Mac interface)
Just as a complement, a tool I use and it didn't work was Microsoft's SQL Server

Upvote 0

Pablo Torres

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a Mac M1, I bought it last year.
I installed Parallel with Windows 11
Most of the times it works ok, but when there is an update you must do it inmediately, sometimes it block the bridge until you install updates.
At the beggining Ctrl commands were very very low and that was awful to develop in windows, now are ok and everything works smoothly.
It runs ARM Windows, it emulates X86 pretty well.
I develop on B4J, B4A and B4i with no problem

Upvote 0

Mike1970

Licensed User
Longtime User
Update:
Thanks to your experiences I bought an M1 and and at the moment everything works as expected 🥹☺️.

thanks to everyone

Upvote 0

drponciano

Licensed User
Longtime User
It works perfect with Parallels and Windows 11 for ARM. Still don't know when the free version of Windows 11-ARM will be given a cost so you can modify the configuration of screen, apps, etc. So far, so good.

Upvote 0

Sifu

So in fact you need a virtual machine which not specific has to be Parallels I assume?
Then the other way around could also work, running MacOs as Virtual under Windows to work with B4I?

I'm running a multiboot win10 and Macos (latest Big Sur) on an older i5. and it runs smooth using OpenCore. I guess working with B4I will be a bit more difficult as I understand both must be running when generating the files for iOs.

Upvote 0

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
You cannot change most of the apperance, icons, one click for opening apps, and so on.
Maybe because you have the free version. If you enter a product key everything works. Or is that only because its the ARM version? My Macs are all Intel cpu.

Upvote 0