Share My Creation B4X Projects Launcher for creating new projects

B4X Projects Launcher is a must-have application for every Developer.

What B4X Projects Launcher Does:
1. Creates new projects with application names in its own directory

Directory Structure
Main Directory:
B4X Projects

Sub Directory:
B4A
B4J
B4I
B4R

**Option to save all projects together in Main directory**

2. Sets package names for new projects automatically using your application (project name)
3. Starts the projects for you for the first time without going to the directory

Changelog for Version 1.20 (19/08/2020)
1. Folder Structure now simplied (B4A, B4J, B4i, B4R)
2. Existing projects can be opened and added to the recent list.
3. Other Minor improvements and bug fixes

Download Version 1.20 Here

Changelog for Version 1.10 (27/01/2020)
1. Option to open Recent project(Last opened project)
2. Option to open an Existing project from other locations on a users computer
3. New/Edited package name saved automatically and loaded upon new project creation
4. Option to add a description to projects added
5. Duplicated Projects names are renamed with a number eg. HelloWorld, HelloWorld1, HelloWorld2
6. All projects created with the Launcher are Listed and can be opened with a Double Click
7. Option to Upload Base IDE Files into the Launcher. When there is a new version of the IDE, the user can use this option to upload skeleton files into the launcher. Instructions included on how to upload base files. Also, custom modules, files, icons which users will like to see upon the creation of new projects can also be uploaded here.
8. Added Tray Icon for quick launch.
9. Projects are now created based on platform (IDE) installed on a users machine. Example, if you do not have B4i installed, you cant create B4i Projects.
10. Other minor bug fixes.

Thanks to all suggestion and inputs. Kindly download with the link below

It Address issues raised here and many others
https://b4x.com/android/forum/threads/default-project-directory-and-package-name-prompt.100315/
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/creating-new-projects.112957/#post-704663
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/ready-project-to-run.107328/
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...ication-names-for-newbies.113074/#post-705563

1579342389533.png

1580128017000.png

Attachments

• B4X_Project_Launcher Source.zip
    58.6 KB · Views: 933
Last edited:

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Trust me, I do very much appreciate your contribution to b4x and the time it took to write this helper app.

But what I see as the issue is that newbies will not know to use this app - they will initially be using ONLY the IDE and will unfortunately run into the issues you mentioned.

And because of this, that is (at least why I posted my wish) why I posted a wish to add these fixes to the IDE so it would be built-in so that newbies will benefit from it from the start.

For the users who do find this app, it is obviously very helpful :)

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe it is a temporary problem but at this moment I am unable to download.

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Slick....
The only thing I did not see is, if you have a project named Helloworld1 under B4A, and you ask it to create a new project with same name, will it overwrite the existing project - or warn you - or allow you to just open existing project?

Thanks

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
It currently does not check for duplicate project names. I will add that in subsequent update, also list of created/existing projects to start

Slick....
The only thing I did not see is, if you have a project named Helloworld1 under B4A, and you ask it to create a new project with same name, will it overwrite the existing project - or warn you - or allow you to just open existing project?

Thanks

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Agree, I would like to see a possibility to either:
-open a new project
-or select from a recent list of projects *

* if implemented, it would be nice if one could give a description to a project and see them when looking at recent ones. I tend to give projects sometimes stupid names such as Test1, test2 etc. With a description, I could write Test1 does this and Test2 does that.

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
With all of that (and more that you inventive people can conjure), this will definately be my launcher for all (J and A currently)...
I wish the IDE would show the full path to the project in the title bar. Now I have to go to recently used - to see where I need to go to get the apk or jar - because my project folder structure is a bloody mess! This tool will help big time with that (my own dang fault for not being disciplined) - keep a level of perfect organization.

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Two more feature requests (I'm sure there will be more down the road)...

I have many projects already built. I would like to move them to the new dir structure and "add" them to the launcher system. (move option?)
I guess, this would require reading the (platform) dir to see if all dirs match what was last saved - then adding new projects not found?
Existing projects will have different package names than your suggested defaults, so this must be considered (if required???).

As @moster67 suggested, a description will be most helpful since I duplicate projects and morph them based on client needs. This will tell me what this project (with the same project name - different dir name) is used for... I will likely have to modify project names to avoid conflicts - if ever used on the same device.

As another feature, when selecting any platform - the last opened project will be default (if last opened exists). Another option will be to show all projects for this platform (with description) to select from.

These suggestions may get your creative wheels spinning to provide other features we have not yet dreamed of...
When fully featured, I would expect many will jump on board and embrace the launcher as much as the IDE itself. Extremely helpful and makes good sense.
At some point, when you are happy it, be pleased to make it donationware. We shall support your outstanding efforts (ABM comes to mind as an excellent add-on worthy of community support).

Thanks

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Very well done!

As usual I will write comments... absurd (and at this time even worse), so I apologize in advance.

1) I would also share the source code, since the application is free;
2) I would like to suggest a "modality" certainly less simple, comfortable and immediate but more customizable and, above all, compatible with future versions of the B4A, B4J, ... projects. I'll try to explain what I'm thinking of.

Your sw creates N (nested) folders for the new project. I think it would be useful, however, that the user of your sw could set a path (as in the Anywhere Software IDEs) to his basic projects and then your sw would copy these folders and files of this project to create the new project.

This would have two advantages:

1) if one day the structure of the B4A (or B4J, etc.) projects changes, it would not be necessary to update your sw;
2) the user of your sw could use his own basic project as a model - for example, if the user always used some custom code modules, or classes, or image files, or even custom folders / sub-folder structure.

Certainly the whole "preparatory operation" would be more complex for the user who uses this sw, but it would have the advantages described above.

Eventually you could leave this choice to the programmer, the standard version, comfortable and... instantaneous, or the more complex but customizable one.

(Tip: to copy the user's standard projects it would be possible to use robocopy.exe, as Erel does in his XUI2D projects).

I hope I have explained well enough what I mean; if not, please blame the sleep i have 😄

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Agree, I would like to see a possibility to either:
-open a new project
-or select from a recent list of projects *

These are possible and will make the application used frequently as well

As another feature, when selecting any platform - the last opened project will be default (if last opened exists). Another option will be to show all projects for this platform (with description) to select from.

Your requests are great, checking for existing project names to avoid duplicate or overwriting, etc

1) I would also share the source code, since the application is free;
2) I would like to suggest a "modality" certainly less simple, comfortable and immediate but more customizable and, above all, compatible with future versions of the B4A, B4J, ... projects. I'll try to explain what I'm thinking of.

1. The source will be made available, this sw will go a long way to help the developers, well, until it gets integrated into the IDE (Our appeal)
2. The initial design has a setup page where the user can create a Basic "Skeleton" project and upload, which will be used in creating the projects.
It will definitely help as the user will always have the latest project files, and as you said, any custom modules as well will be added.

Expect them soon. Thanks to everyone for appreciating this tool

somed3v3loper

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can we change the default package name ?
I know it can be edited but if the default can be change for all apps , it would be nice