Android Question Background information

Shelby

Licensed User
Is there a vocabulary list that some of you might suggest for a noobie to B4A like me? I have experience in HTML, CSS, Javascript, Wordpress, etc. but I'd like to know the language where many of you started with to understand app development. Perhaps I can get vocabulary from such a language to give me more understanding of where I can get started. I've spent a few hours familiarizing myself with Java-Eclipse. Is that useful? Thanks

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi and welcome!

A good start ist here: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4x-documentation-booklets.88985/

As I don't like languages where I have to spend "years" to understand, B4x was a good choice because it's VB like and modern. I could just start. No need to know Java or other things like Eclipse to build huge apps. So far I only use the B4x family plus some php on my server(s) and MySQL.

Just start EASY with one or two views (labels or so) and compile your first "hello world app" (see the beginners guide which is excellent). Install the B4A bridge on your device (phone or tablet), start it, connect and Compile. Very simple.

I've spent a few hours familiarizing myself with Java-Eclipse. Is that useful?

Later perhaps but to develop good apps you don't need it (except you build native Java libs or so)

Is there a vocabulary list that some of you might suggest for a noobie to B4A like me?

See the link above. As I've written, it's excellent.

Feel free to ask questions if needed!

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've spent a few hours familiarizing myself with Java-Eclipse. Is that useful?
AFAIK, there is no list.
I have never used Eclipse. I sometimes use 'Java', not the language itself but looking at Android documentation and using JavaObjects for methods or functions not directly available in B4A.
You might have a look at the B4X Booklets, or the B4A Beginner's Guide (getting obsolete) and the B4A User's Guide (links in my signature) and also Erel's videos.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Klaus, If I get familiar with B4XHelp Viewer as you suggested, do I need to download and install separately the B4X? I'm presently viewing the subs and variables video by Erel. I have completed 3 practice apps and have the B4A installed.
Here's a specific need for my first idea for an app: How do I write code to perform for example multiplication, division, square root and so on? I saw on the present video I'm watching that Erel performed addition with the code in part as:

Sub AppStart (Args() As String)
Dim Result As Int = Sum(10, 20)
Log("The result is: " & Result)
End Sub

Sub Sum(x As Int, Y As Int) As Int
Return X + Y 'Here the plus sign is obviously the addition performing character
'I'm wondering what the other characters for other mathematical
'performances might be

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
... do I need to download and install separately the B4X?
If you mean the B4X Booklets, i would say yes.
How do I write code to perform for example multiplication, division, square root and so on?
This is explained in the B4X Basic Language Booklet.

The B4X Help Viewer shows all the componants of libraries, it reads the xml files, most of the documentation is based on these files, like the inline documentation.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
O.K., thanks again
When I follow along with Erel's B4J video of 'Strings' using my B4A platform I can't use a Sub he calls;
AppStart (Args() as String)
That's why I was asking above if I need to download a separate platform. Should I abandon the idea of following along duplicating his code with my platform?

Last edited:
Upvote 0