Other Basic4android community wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieransmith

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've started to add a few bits of structure to the Wiki, uploading media seems to be disabled.

Could you enable it - as it will be helpful for addign examples.

Thanks

Kieran

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
This should be a great tool for making the B4A documentation more organized. Most of the information that should be in the Wiki can already be found in this forum in messages and in the HelpViewer, so you don't have to be a B4A wizard to contribute, you just have to be able to cut-and-paste.

Note that to contribute, you have to register for the Wiki even though you are already registered for these forums.

If you decide to create a new page for a link that doesn't have a page, you may want to start the new page with a line saying that you have started working on it. This should help avoid duplication of effort during the start-up.

If you have an HTML editor that you are comfortable with, you may find it easier to create your page in it and cut-and-paste it into the Wiki. (There are other options, but this seemed easier.) See Help:HTML in wikitext - Meta for information about HTML compatibility in the Wiki. (Note: that page says that <P> is supported, but does not appear to work and shows up as <P> instead of just starting a paragraph.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Image Uploads

Hi there

I've added a little bit to the Wiki today with the intention of adding a lot more as I think this will make a great source for information, but was wondering whether there was a plan to control image upload?

I was thinking of uploading pics to my own domain, and linking to those, but I guess that would be a temporary measure.

Cheers

JMB

Upvote 0

joedarock

Licensed User
Longtime User
Super!

Where is the appropriate place to suggest additional sections/subjects that should be included in the Wiki, including a discussion of what content should be included in those sections?

Joe

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Where is the appropriate place to suggest additional sections/subjects that should be included in the Wiki, including a discussion of what content should be included in those sections?

The nature of Wiki's is that anyone is free to add content and change existing content, especially in the beginning stages where even the Main Page is incomplete and most of the links do not yet have pages for them.

There's so much data to be accumulated that the biggest problem is getting it there, so what is needed is not suggestions of what sections/subjects to include, but someone to write the actual content.

See the Wiki help page: Help:Contents - Basic4android Wiki

Upvote 0

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Problems

Hi

I've been trying to work on the AVD page this afternoon, but I can't save any pages. I presume that's because of the server change that was notified?

Thanks.

JMB

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just tried making a change to the AVD page as a test (took out a comma) and it saved it. I don't think that Erel has done anything to stop edits being saved.

I have been known to Preview a Wiki edit and forget to go back and actually save it, which obviously means the changes I made got lost. Not saying that's your case, but otherwise your changes should show up.

Is it giving you any kind of error message? Anyway, you might just want to give it another try.

Upvote 0

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been trying again, and I can't cut and paste from a Text Editor into the Edit window. I can add words directly - sort of - but I keep getting this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.19 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.17 Server at Android programming with Gui designer - Basic4android Port 80​
Any clues? I am trying to work on the AVD section.

JMB

Upvote 0

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, this is weird. If you look at the AVD section, you'll see the last word there is TEST. If I change that to "from" which is the word I want to use, it falls over with the error message shown in my previous post. If I put other "polite" four letter words there, it works! What's going on there???

Computers!!! Don't you love them?

I'm running on Win 7 inside Parallels on OS X on Macbook Pro.

JMB

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is so strange. I get the same results as you when I replace the word "TEST" with "from", but not with any other word.

Even stranger is that if you put "from" before the comma in that last line, you do not get the error, but I pasted several lines of text after that line and if I put "from" anywhere in that text, I get the error.

I would love to see the bug causing all this.

Upvote 0

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I saw your edits there, and I did exactly the same thing.

If you put the word "from" after that section, it crashes!

Weird! I'm now officially flummoxed!

JMB

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see it too. It happens because of a "security feature" in Apache server by a module named mod_security. It looks for all kinds of patterns which can be related to hack attempts. Why it fails on this specific line is a mystery to me as well. I guess that 'from' is a sensitive word because it is used in SQL queries.
I tried to fix this issue but didn't succeed. For now use a slightly different wording.

Please post if you encounter this error in a different pages.

Upvote 0

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for that information Erel.

Unfortunately, it's making the creation of entries almost impossible. I've just done a big section on the AVD Manager including the use of files for SD Cards, and then pasted it into the Wiki editor page and got the same error.

It's taken me several hours messing around with stuff to make sure that everything is working and that my text is correct so it's frustrating to find that I can't enter the information into the Wiki for the benefit of others.

Is there any way round this? I think the Wiki is a superb idea and am keen to contribute more.

I've posted the stuff about SD Cards here.

JMB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I see it too. It happens because of a "security feature" in Apache server by a module named mod_security. It looks for all kinds of patterns which can be related to hack attempts. Why it fails on this specific line is a mystery to me as well. I guess that 'from' is a sensitive word because it is used in SQL queries.
I tried to fix this issue but didn't succeed. For now use a slightly different wording.

Please post if you encounter this error in a different pages.

(In the text below, "fr*m" = "from", for reasons which will become obvious.)

In the Wiki page in which JB was getting the error generated by using "from", I noticed that "from" was being used further up the page with no problem, so I tried to isolate the words causing the error.

JB originally had something like:
or you can run it inside B4A by selecting "Tools-Run AVD Manager" fr*m...

Long story, short: any use of the word "selecting" followed (at any distance) by the word "fr*m" generates the error.

Now here is the interesting part:

The first time I tried to post this message with the actual fr*m word in it, I got the same error! So this problem relates to the forums as well as the Wiki.

It's kinda hard to believe that this has never come up before since both words are fairly common.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.