Games Breakout Game - (Free Game Source - B4J/B4i/B4A)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

I made a FULL b4x game that I would like to share with you and also explain how I did the Game.
So the idea is to show you a way you could create really awesome Games using b4x and that b4x can be very powerful for game making if you know how to use it.

In this game, I am not using any special game engine and everything is done by code (like Collision detection, animations,...)
There are many people here that would like to make games but don't really know where to start and this is why I am creating this thread.

So what I was thinking is creating short tutorials that explain parts of the code (like animations, movements, collision,...) and at the end, I will publish the full source.
This way you can follow the full game-making process and understand better the source code.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the code because I really would like to see you guys make lots of games using b4x!!

Please be patient with the tutorials since I have a full-time job and it is very time-consuming making the full game + all tutorials for you guys :)

TUTORIALS:

Part 1: Game Intro
Part 2: Background Animation (source included "Part 2.zip")
Part 3: Title+Like button animation (source included "Part 3.zip") - another example
Part 4: Level Editor (source included "Part 4.zip")
Part 5: Collision Detection (source included "Part 5.zip)

Download Link:

EDIT: Download the full Game and have fun learning from it. Please don't upload the project to any other forum or your site without permission. If you like my work please consider a small Donation! I spent a lot of days and nights making those tutorials and of course the game itself that was made only for you guys!

icon_small.png

Thank you and have fun coding 😁

ps: please excuse my English. it is not my native language. hmmm... thinking about it, I even don't speak my native language very well :oops:

Attachments

• Part 2.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 580
  • Part 3.zip
    184.6 KB · Views: 550
  • Part 4.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 498
  • Part 5.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @ilan

I like to thank you for making it so simple. πŸ‘
I looked at the code and was surprised that it has less than 100 line, in fact actual codes are less than 50 lines.

I have always thought that making animation requires an animation library but you showed it can be done so simply.
No I am planning to use this knowledge in my database program :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @ilan

I like to thank you for making it so simple. πŸ‘
I looked at the code and was surprised that it has less than 100 line, in fact actual codes are less than 50 lines.

I have always thought that making animation requires an animation library but you showed it can be done so simply.
No I am planning to use this knowledge in my database program :)

it is just the beginning, it will get more and more interesting. :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the goal of this thread is to explain how games could be created using b4x. first with simple tools and then using a game engine (like x2 that includes box2d).
so please don't hesitate to ask questions. until now (part3) we are still dealing with simple animations but for some of you it may be something unfamiliar so feel free to ask any question you have.

ps. for the game maker of you guys, I am aware that there are many ways to improve the code and make it better but the goal is to make it simple and understandable. as someone that also wanted to get into game making a long time ago, I had difficulties understanding high-level game code. so I think this way where I explain part of the process it may make it simpler for newbies in game-making to understand the principle than just put the whole source and let them deal with it. :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@ilan, congratulations!!!
It's amazing what you did.
I'm a newbie both in games and programming but your videos make it really clear and didactic.
You've open up a whole new world of opportunities for me. I'm felling like a child who got a LEGO.
Thank you.

thank you for your kind words. i am happy to be able to help others and at the same time make b4x more interesting for a new audience. :)

susanm

@ilan, I really appreciate your work. Looking forward to following the tutorials. πŸ‘

Simple games are a great way to learn a new language or toolset.

I know how to program, but am new to B4X. Right now my main focus is B4J and so the way this runs on the desktop is awesome.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Part 5 is online - it's about collision detection.
i will upload the complete source code very soon. i think the tutorials above are enough to understand the game-making concept and any other questions can be answered here.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i have added to link to the full game. if you have any questions please don't be shy!!
i want to make b4x more interesting for game makers and show how powerful b4x is.

have fun playing with it and if you like my work you can buy me a new Tesla X 😁 (or a coffee because i don't like beers)

Made with❀ B4x!

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i have added to link to the full game.
I like it , I like it alot Ilan. You have some very good coding techniques in your code, simple but extremely effective and most of all easy to learn from. I hope that you keep up these great game tutorials as developers on the forum can and will definitely learn something from them. I know this to be true simply because I already have.

Thank you...