Wish Change so renaming a module in the IDE does actually rename the module and not just make a copy of it

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the IDE we can rename a module, which seems to work fine. But when one saves the project, and takes a peek into the project directory, it shows the IDE actually made a copy of the original file and saved a new file with the new name.

I recently got bitten by this as I have code that build my b4xlibs, and it included old files (that at some point were renamed and thus swiftly forgotten by me) which caused all kinds of strange errors later in my development process. (I wasted way too much time to find the cause for the problems.)

Searching the forum for an explanation for this behaviour I found this thread from 2016:

Where Erel states: "This is by design."

That's fine and all, I have no problem understanding that there might be historical reasons for things. But now we have b4xlibs and those lingering files can cause issues so perhaps it would be time to revisit that design? :) ( I seriously doubt that we have any b4x developers that actually rely on the old files hanging around.)