Android Question Conflicting Signature

nibbo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

Think this is may be related to the latest version but not certain.

I have updated my app and recompiled it in release mode but when the new version tries to install I get the error "An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed".

I appreciate I can simply delete the installed version and then install the latest but this will remove all existing database data leading to potentially losing important data (sales orders!!) not to mention several GB of images which will all need to be downloaded again by each user making it impractical.

What does this message mean? I think it could refer to the 'Private signed key' which is all set to unknown in the settings and I don't recall ever setting up anything in there.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You have compiled the two apps with a different keystore?

Upvote 0

fixit30

Licensed User
Longtime User
In B4A v6.3 the debug signing key has been changed.

You can use the old debug.keystore file from v6 without any issue

Upvote 0

nibbo

Licensed User
Longtime User
In B4A v6.3 the debug signing key has been changed.

You can use the old debug.keystore file from v6 without any issue

Thanks for this. Where can I download V6 from though? Mine has been overwritten by the latest install.

Upvote 0

nibbo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel that seems to have fixed it. Better keep this file in a safe place.

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank goodness I found this. The old key allows me to compile an update-able version to an app that's been in the field for a few years.

Question: If the old debug key works just as well, why was it changed? Will I ever want or need to compile with the new (v630) debug key?

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the explanation, Erel. I now understand. In my considerable ignorance, I did not know the role of debug (and other) keys.

Upvote 0

Smee

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a similar message \ problem. However I did have a private key. I loaded it into the project successfully but i still get the error. How can I fix this? I upgrade from 4.x to 7.x

UPDATE:

Ok now i really have a problem. I have gone back to the earlier version of B4A and loaded the private key. I tried installing the new version so that i could export my database etc but i get the same error.
Where do I go from here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0