Other Designer Anchors - new feature preview

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Erel, Dec 30, 2013.

1. qsrtech

qsrtech Active Member Licensed User

Anchors will be great. It would also be nice to see an "align" property which aligns the view to specific edges of it's parent. For example an alignclient would make the view fill the parent or remaining screen space if other views are aligned within the parent. For example if you have a view set to alignTop and one to alignclient the first one will fill the parents width and whatever height you set. The latter one will fill the remaining client area below the top view. Note this "align" feature could work in combination with anchoring.

2. LucaMs

LucaMs Expert Licensed User

Ok, I'll even bother Anywhere Software :): a nice template manager (layouts)

damn, this is not the "I wish" section, sorry

3. tuhatinhvn

tuhatinhvn Active Member Licensed User

Great, when is new version released?

4. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Setting the horizontal anchor to BOTH will make the view fill its parent width (based on the left and right distances).

Also remember that you can always use the designer script to change the layout as needed. Personally I prefer the straightforward approach of the designer script compared to "fighting" with splitters and dockings.

I believe that the beta version will be released this week.

5. gudino jose luis

gudino jose luis Active Member Licensed User

Excellent, This will make the designer extremely useful!

6. qsrtech

qsrtech Active Member Licensed User

With respect the the "view list", i trust "selection" will be coridinated between the designer and the view list such that when items are selected their corresponding designer/list will be selected. Also i hope you'll be able to move views to different parents in the "list", as well as right click on a list item and have the same menu as in the designer.

As mentioned before, I hope the two designer windows will be merged, also I think the code and designer windows should be merged, I.e. MDI. Perhaps offer an option (SDI or MDI).

finally, not sure if i mentioned this feature before, but it would be nice to have ide tooltips of a variables declaration and a subs code/declaration. Again this could be turned on or off.

oh yea i'd like to ask again for a default local "result" variable for any subs that return a value

7. corradotisi

corradotisi Member Licensed User

Excellent

8. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Active Member Licensed User

Hi Erel,
    Please consider reducing the text size for the designer boxes. I often cannot read the full text due to the very large size of the font.
    To illustrate the point:
    [​IMG]

9. canalrun

canalrun Well-Known Member Licensed User

Sounds neat. Will there be a choice for "No Anchor"?

I currently just do one layout per app: 320x480, scale=1.0.

The views (buttons, text edits, …) seem to be automatically scaled so they become proportionately the same size on higher resolution devices as they were in my layout. I don't do anything to achieve this scaling.

I dynamically re-position everything in code so that it is placed appropriately on different resolution devices - sounds like a nightmare, but it really is not that difficult.

I am sure you have anticipated this, but I hope this "manual mode" of screen layout will be supported.

Barry.

10. Erel

LEFT, TOP = No anchors.
    If you set the view's position to (100, 200) you are actually anchoring it 100 pixels from the left and 200 pixels from the top.

The designer dimensions were always based on 'dip' units. This hasn't changed.

Done.

Theera, WizardOz and Jim Brown like this.
  11. macsboost

macsboost Member Licensed User

could you add a scrollbar to the side and bottom of the designer. On small pc screens it can be difficult to select certain elements at 50% zoom, so you need 100%zoom. However at 100% you cant see all the views. Hence the need for scrollbars to edit .

12. Erel

It is better to post such suggestions in the wishlist forum.

13. klaus

klaus Expert Licensed User

Hi Erel,
    I am testing deeper the new Anchor function.
    I noticed that it doesn't work as I would expect it for the two following views:
    - the Height property of the ScrollView is not anchored.
    - the Width property of the HorizontalScrollView is not anchored.

A same layout where the two scrollviews are replaced by panels works as expected.
    It seems that they get the height or width of the internal panel instead of anchoring the view.

Attached two pictures and the test project.

Attached Files:

14. Erel

If I understand your layout correctly then it works as I expect it :)

The ScrollView itself height is correct. It exactly fills the space between the two views. The round corners belong to the inner panel. If you scroll the ScrollView you will see them.

upload_2014-1-16_17-10-19.png

15. klaus

Sorry, my mistake !
    Didn't look carefully enough.

16. unba1300

unba1300 Guest

I don't know why my layout looks so different in the UI Cloud compared to what I was doing with the standard variant. The four buttons and labels are children of the panel. Are these new anchors not relative to panels? And why would the top-right label become so different? Sorry I'm still struggling with layouts. Thanks.

Attached Files:

17. klaus

Can you post your layout file ?

18. unba1300

unba1300 Guest

Here's the layout file.

Attached Files:

19. klaus

The anchors don't work as you think they do.
    In your case you have scvCats Horizontal Anchor set to BOTH and the same for lblCats.
    When you set the Horizontal Anchor of a view to BOTH it sets the views left edge with a distance to the parent views left edge and the views right edge with a distance to the parent views right edge.
    In the example below the left view has its left edge set to 0 and the right edge at the blue distance from the parent views right edge.
    The right view has its left edge set at the red distance from the parent views left screen edge and the right edge on the parent views right edge.
    On a device with a wider screen.
    For the left view, the distance of its right edge to the parent views right edge remains the same !
    And, for the right view, the distance of its left edge to the parent views left edge remains the same !
    And the result is an overlapping of both views !
    upload_2014-1-22_22-17-16.png
    In your case you should use %x and %y values in the Designer Scripts.
    The same for the vertical scaling.

unba1300 and Erel like this.
  20. unba1300

unba1300 Guest

Thanks. I used percentages for nearly everything in that layout, but have also experienced the power of anchors in a different layout.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice