Android Tutorial Designer Scripts Tutorial

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you click on the Designer scripts and you don't see anything is because you have those views as Visibility = False

For example, say you have a panel and 3 buttons on the panel, if you set the panel's visibility on the designer to FALSE, when you click on the designer script tab you won't see anything.

If that's the case, I even requested a wish a little while ago as posted HERE, I'm assuming is on the To Do list.

Last edited:

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are so right!
The views are set to visible = false and when I toggle them to true, they show up.
It would be good if this didn't happen, so I support your request for a fix.
Thanks!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is actually "by design". In many cases showing the hidden views will hide the views in the back.

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe you could toggle the hidden views on by holding the Alt key or something like that so you could see the views when someone wants to, but allow them to hide ordinarily.
Rusty

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
designer-script-only properties

If I understand correctly, there are certain properties (e.g. Bottom) that are only valid in designer scripts, and not in the main code?

I only discovered this when I wrote "foobarLabel.Bottom = 10dip" in an activity module and got a compile-time error.

I scratched my head and read the docs, saw there was no actual Bottom property for views, and figured that Bottom (and some other properties) must have been added to designer scripting as a convenience.

Correct?

roarnold

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the insight Erel. Helps with my current project and the ones upcoming.

R

ostau

Licensed User
Longtime User
Get Error-Meassge when compiling

Hi Erel,
I switched from 1.7 to 2.3.
I adde a simple layout for tets purposes.
When I compile the program which has a layout with the script inside, I get an error message "javac: file not found: src\android\pmds\s2\designerscripts\*.java".
I can see the correct layout on the device , when I run F5 in the designer.
Any hints?
Thanks in advance, oskar

ostau

Licensed User
Longtime User
Where to download?

This is related to a bug in Java compiler. A workaround was implemented in B4A v2.50. You can either use a different Java version or switch to v2.50.

Hi Erel,
thank you for the info. I didn´t find a link to download a full version of 2.50?

ostau

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,
thank you for the info. I didn´t find a link to download a full version of 2.50?

Thank you for the link. I updated to 2.50 and now I get the error during compilation:

src\android\pmds\s2\designerscripts\LS_optionen.java:51: error: ';' expected
views.get("btnok").setTop((int)((100d / 100 * height)-(10d * scale) - (views.get("btnok").getHeight())))
^

My Disignerscript is:

AutoScalerate(0.3)
AutoScaleAll

pnlURL.SetLeftAndRight(1%x, 99%x)
pnlURL.SetTopAndBottom(1%y, 1%y + 100dip)

lblUrl.SetLeftAndRight(0, pnlURL.Width)
lblUrl.SetTopAndBottom(0, 30dip)

editBaseURL.SetLeftAndRight(0 , pnlURL.width)
editBaseURL.SetTopAndBottom(lblUrl.Bottom + 5dip, pnlURL.Bottom -5dip)

pnlSeekHours.SetLeftAndRight (pnlURL.Left, pnlURL.Right)
pnlSeekHours.SetTopAndBottom (pnlURL.Bottom + 10dip, pnlURL.Bottom + 140dip)

lblSeekHours.SetLeftAndRight(0, pnlSeekHours.Width)
lblSeekHours.SetTopAndBottom(0, 40dip)

rad4h.SetLeftAndRight(0, pnlSeekHours.width /2)
rad4h.SetTopAndBottom(lblSeekHours.Bottom, lblSeekHours.Bottom + 40dip)

rad8h.SetLeftAndRight(pnlSeekHours.Width /2, pnlSeekHours.width)
rad8h.SetTopAndBottom(rad4h.Top, rad4h.Bottom)

rad16h.SetLeftAndRight(rad4h.Left, rad4h.Right)
rad16h.SetTopAndBottom(rad4h.Bottom, rad4h.Bottom + 40dip)

rad24h.SetLeftAndRight(rad8h.Left, rad8h.Right)
rad24h.SetTopAndBottom(rad16h.Top, rad16h.Bottom)

btnOK.HorizontalCenter = 50%x
btnOK.Height = 40dip
btnOK.Bottom(100%y - 10dip)

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Change last one to:
B4X:
btnOK.Bottom = (100%y - 10dip)

Allan Cameron

Licensed User
Longtime User
Designer Script

I would like to vary the height of a label in the designer script according to the length of the text--for different language versions. What is the best way to achieve this as it does not seem possible to use If Then based on a value within the main program.

lock255

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello everyone today I was setting my layout (buttons, labels, etc.) according to this thread, but every time that I update with F5, my items are changed in everything except in VerticalCenter.

This is one of my codes, I can not figure out where mistake, they could help me?

B4X:
btnClear.HorizontalCenter=80%x
btnClear.VerticalCenter=60%y
btnClear.Width=22%x
btnClear.Bottom=8%y

lock255

Licensed User
Longtime User

I solved thanks, please can you explain what is VerticalCenter?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…