Disable buttom panel of Android tablet

TomY032713

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have built an application to be used in a warehouse on an Android tablet utilizing this software. I would like to be able to disable all the options on the bottom of the screen such as the back button, minimize, date, and wifi options. Our user's have accidentally clicked on these while using our software on the tablet, which resulted in them losing what they were currently working on. I have a close button for this application, and I would like this button to be the only option for closing the application.

Does anyone know if this is possible either in the code or tablet itself?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

TomY032713

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you

Erel,

Thank you for answering my question.

So, when a user pushes the back button, and reenters the application, the application should resume with all the information on the screen if I coded it correctly? To include selected information in spinner's and the data grid?

I shouldn't be required to save the attributes of everything on the screen in activity_pause?

Thank you

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
Sub Activity_KeyPress (KeyCode As Int) As Boolean 

If KeyCode = KeyCodes.KEYCODE_BACK Then

Return True

End If

End Sub

This sub will disable the back key.
I try and keep control buttons away from the (back, home) keys to prevent accidental activation.

Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not possible to disable this panel.

Erel,

Slightly off topic but on my Galaxy Tablet (running ICS) when I watch something in the video player the on screen buttons (back, home etc) are "dimmed" and replaced with gray dots.

Do you know how this is done? Is this an Android feature or a TouchWiz customization?

I dont think it would help the topic starter since pressing the "dots" still activates the button (eg home).

Thanks

Upvote 0

TomY032713

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the code

I will use this code to atleast disable the back button, I believe that should help a little bit. My screen is so full of what needs to be displayed that I unfortunately can't move any of the buttons. It is a busy screen, but we don't want to upgrade to larger tablets because employees are carrying them around as they pick stock.
I do appreciate this code!

B4X:
Sub Activity_KeyPress (KeyCode As Int) As Boolean 

If KeyCode = KeyCodes.KEYCODE_BACK Then

Return True

End If

End Sub

This sub will disable the back key.
I try and keep control buttons away from the (back, home) keys to prevent accidental activation.

Upvote 0

Gianluca Esposito

Licensed User
Longtime User
My need is to block users unchecked exploration.
With the first method the buttons are hidden but then reactivated by touching.
With the second method, not all the buttons are located.
For example, in the screen shot the two middle keys are not identified.
Is there a way to hide the taskbar without re-enable it?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-09-12-54-37.jpeg
    Screenshot_2014-04-09-12-54-37.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

Hans- Joachim Krahe

Licensed User
Longtime User
o.k., got it. Need to shell activity inside another Main:) but activity is lost then, would like to hold it an use backbutton for another task

Last edited:
Upvote 0