Android Question Emulator Panic

boten

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm trying to run AVD with a VERY OLD emulator.
The old emulator appears in list of emulators.

SDK is updated, also DL'd "some android/google emulator".

When started I get the msg:

B4X:
Error Panic: cannot find AVD system path
please define ANDROID_SDK_ROOT

where can I define this path and what should it be?

boten

Licensed User
Longtime User
new AVD works after DL & install HAXM. THX

Though miss the option to add older android versions (testing for old devices, android 2 / 4 etc...)

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Guess you need to Download such old sdk (the systemimages) manually with the b4a sdkmanager to allow creating avd for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vasper

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have this issue with the latest version of b4a (10.70). I have setup the variable in the Environment and installed Haxm and still getting this error from B4A AVDManager

Attachments

• b4aAVD.jpg
    b4aAVD.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0

vasper

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no instruction to setup any Environment Variable in the B4A instructions: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

If you do MORE or LESS than in those instructions, that is why it is not working.
The variables didn't exist and still didn't work. I saw in the Android Studio forum how to set them up. I have done everything else in the instructions. Mind you, I just updated from 9.6 that worked fine. After the update, I also started the sdk manager from B4A and installed all it checked. AVD stopped working with this message after that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
This is B4A, not Android Studio. B4A is self-contained and has no association to or reliance on Android Studio.
Anything to do with installation or configuration of Android Studio has ZERO effect on B4A.

If you are having B4A problems Android Studio forums are utterly irrelevant.

99.9% of B4A issues are caused by not correctly following the setup instructions: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

The only thing to stress is to use 7-Zip when extracting the archives Android SDK Command line tools and required resources . Windows Extract is known to corrupt the extracted folder structure.

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
*Also* Only use the download links on the installation instructions: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

Do NOT search for other (later) versions of any of the downloads - B4A is designed to work with those versions listed.

BTW, I made all those mistakes to begin with and learnt a lesson!

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
*Also* In the instructions, You are advised that running SDK Manager" is not Usually Necessay, so don't - until you know you need something specifically.

Upvote 0

vasper

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is B4A, not Android Studio. B4A is self-contained and has no association to or reliance on Android Studio.
Anything to do with installation or configuration of Android Studio has ZERO effect on B4A.

If you are having B4A problems Android Studio forums are utterly irrelevant.

99.9% of B4A issues are caused by not correctly following the setup instructions: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

The only thing to stress is to use 7-Zip when extracting the archives Android SDK Command line tools and required resources . Windows Extract is known to corrupt the extracted folder structure.
As I said, the problem is with B4A.
And I used WinRAR that never had this problem in the past.

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I will have to remove everything and start over
Probably no need to remove everything. Just use a new name for the folder you download (c;\javaB4A or c;\AndroidB4A) and point the IDE to these folders, if you want to keep your old instalation for Android Studio

"Download the zip and unpack it. C:\java is a good place for it."
" Unzip it in a folder such as C:\Android "

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Probably no need to remove everything. Just use a new name for the folder you download (c;\javaB4A or c;\AndroidB4A) and point the IDE to these folders, if you want to keep your old instalation for Android Studio

"Download the zip and unpack it. C:\java is a good place for it."
" Unzip it in a folder such as C:\Android "

It shouldn't be necessary to alter the suggested B4A folder names.
By default Android Studio uses "c:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Android" for its copy of the SDK.
So long as you leave the Android Studio default alone and don't reference that folder in B4A there will be no conflict.
As discussed before, Android Studio and B4A are completely independent, self-contained, packages.
Just stick with the suggested/recommended folders in the instructions.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
By default Android Studio uses
Android Studio is not relevant for B4A. Even the SDK Android Studio is using is not.

Use one SDK for Android Studio and one - additional - for B4A as the one Android Studio is using is not compatible with B4A.

Upvote 0