Android Question Error opening Designer

Amateurtje

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have spend a long time designing 2 bal files and after the last save, i can not open either one of them. it gives an error (in dutch, so I do not know exactly in english and there is no error number: The index is outside of the range...

Is there a way to open a *.bal file?? (like a designer file in vb.net??)

it seems he messed up some indices of some elements but at 2 different files at the same time.

This project is based on the customlistviewexample. If I copy the Original 1.bal and cellitem.bal, it works again but I loose everything I have done.

I tried to only replace them 1 by 1 to see if I can at least save half of my work (and ideas) but both files have the error...

I have B4A 7.80...

Can anybody please help me?

Amateurtje

Licensed User
Longtime User
and when it is a json, what can I do with it? I will try it.

The files are attached.

Attachments

• 1.bal
    5.2 KB · Views: 229
  • cellitem.bal
    6.5 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

Amateurtje

Licensed User
Longtime User
no, no crash at all. I saved and was working in file 1. I noticed I could not open cellitem. I closed (with saving 1) and reopened. At that time, both would not reopen anymore….

PS, I can not try to use the bal converter while there is no exe file included. I do not have B4J. Can anybody try for me?

PPS,

I just started with a new Cellitem.bal file. I made some small changes. Saved it undr a diferent name and it does the same. It seems my designer can not save anymore……

PPPS,

Even just pressing save on a new file (original1.ball) makes this happen.. My designer program saves corrupted files....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
it can not open cellitem.bal, it said unsupported version and if you skip this it crash elsewhere.

btw, did you save your files at a harddisk, network drive or a cloud system?

Attachments

• 1.bal
    5.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 1ori.bal
    5.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 1.bal.json.txt
    23.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amateurtje

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have B4A 7.80

I have reinstalled B4A and I am beginning to realise I probably have to start again. I do not mind, I still remember what I did… I am only getting a bit worried that it will happen again…

After the reinstall it seems to work..

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
corrupted files can have much reasons. software fault, network trouble (using network drives), virus, old harddisk, interuppted save

Upvote 0

Amateurtje

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi MarkusR,

No network drives, just local. Even not in dropbox folder.
Virus: is never impossible but highly unlikeliy.
Interrupted save: why was it repeatable. That means the interupted save would have destroyed the program, not the files.
old harddisk: relatively new laptop.
a harddisk error would only be on the program (files)…. Than I must assume the reinstall put the files ion a different sector... When I have time, I will run a surface check...

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
agree, in your case the files are so very small, maybe you found a rare bug in designer or it was caused by java enviroment.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
the
cellitem.bal is just blank? anti virus?
i contains just spaces ..

Upvote 0

Amateurtje

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had no variants inside. The only thing I did was:
I took the Original 1.bal and cellitem.bal
added some edittextboxes and buttons
the rest is history…

after some different tries (before doing the re-install)
I took the orginal 1.bal. This I could open. I just pressed "save". and closed it. After this, I could not re-open it anymore..

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0