B4R Question ESP32-EVB support?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I was looking around at these ESP8266 modules.

Very interesting but as I was thinking to switch my ventilation on a timely basis so I need an additional relay board.

So when looking around I just bumped onto this ESP32-EVB board

https://www.olimex.com/Products/IoT/ESP32-EVB/open-source-hardware

which already contains the relay board and other stuff and all packed into a nice tiny 7.5x7.5cm pcb.

I was wondering if B4R handles this aswell?

my other option would be what you see in the scheme below

scheme.png

which is:

- a main interruption switch (might be a double polar cut since it's in a bathroom)
- a digital timer swith configured to let the motor run twice 5 minutes every hour between 08:00 - 22:00 with built-in overrule switch (to enable it while showering)
- a switch to select the higher speed while taking a shower

that would already cost me €50+ which is double the price of that EVB board. (without power supply).

if the relay board can switch the motor power (COM1 NO toggle) and the additional speed loop (COM2 NO/NC) I can reduce all this to:

- EVB board
- a button panel with 4 impuls buttons (speed1 select,speed2 select,timed or forced on toggle,main on/off toggle)

but then I need to be able to program it with B4R :)

kolbe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Looking at the EVB board schematic it looks like the relays are connected to the GPIO pins of the ESP32. Controlling the relays then should be easy. The relays are rated at 250VAC. I personally would get higher rated relays or opto-isolated SSRs. Just make sure you know what you are doing as messing with mains power is no joke! Most boards will take precautions to isolate the mains part of the board from the low voltage so that you can never have the mains power leak over to the low voltage sections even if components fail or with humidity/dirt etc. You don't want someone getting electrocuted when touching your low voltage switch because of it.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Michael,

It can switch 2 220V relays but I need 1 plain 220V toggle and 1 that switches a NO and NC contact for the speed selection.

the speed selection works as follows

L1 > nothing = default speed 1 (which is too low)
L1 > L2 = speed 2 (normal operation)
L1 > L3 = speed 3 (higher ventilation for during showering)

so speed 2 is the NC and speed 3 the NO contact

Upvote 0

johndb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I was looking around at these ESP8266 modules.

Very interesting but as I was thinking to switch my ventilation on a timely basis so I need an additional relay board.

So when looking around I just bumped onto this ESP32-EVB board

https://www.olimex.com/Products/IoT/ESP32-EVB/open-source-hardware

which already contains the relay board and other stuff and all packed into a nice tiny 7.5x7.5cm pcb.

I was wondering if B4R handles this aswell?

my other option would be what you see in the scheme below

View attachment 57082

which is:

- a main interruption switch (might be a double polar cut since it's in a bathroom)
- a digital timer swith configured to let the motor run twice 5 minutes every hour between 08:00 - 22:00 with built-in overrule switch (to enable it while showering)
- a switch to select the higher speed while taking a shower

that would already cost me €50+ which is double the price of that EVB board. (without power supply).

if the relay board can switch the motor power (COM1 NO toggle) and the additional speed loop (COM2 NO/NC) I can reduce all this to:

- EVB board
- a button panel with 4 impuls buttons (speed1 select,speed2 select,timed or forced on toggle,main on/off toggle)

but then I need to be able to program it with B4R :)
You could probably save yourself a little work by using one of these but it wouldn't be as much fun as building one ... http://www.leviton.com/en/products/iphs5-1lw

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello John,

Unfortunately the regulations in Belgium are that you need to ventilate your house because houses are too much isolated (doh).

So moisty rooms (bathroom, toilets, kitchen) needs ventilation to prevent fungus.
A moist detection won't work in a toilet unless you do strange things there ;)

In theory it should run 24/7 but screw that since...

it sucks out heat out of the house in the winter and pulls in cold air
it sucks in heat on summer days
it makes a lot of noise on speed 3 and it's in the bathroom next to 2 sleeping rooms

Edit: did a re-read and it seems to do most of what I want. the only thing I miss is speed control and a time range. this does for example 10 minutes every hour so also at night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
thanks @Toley ,

but I went for the old fashioned electrical method because I had all those parts handy but it's slightly different than the scheme above due to differntly working over rule switch as described so I went for a mechanical timer (less missery to (re)program all these 15 minutes operations per day).

so it's now power > mech timerswitch > main operation switch on front of panel > motor

a seperate switch next to it to control the speed.

a 3rd switch is still missing and it's to overrule the timer (for example when taking a hot shower)

so it will be

B4X:
power ┬─  overrule switch    ┐
      └─ mech. timer switch ─┴─ > main switch > motor

Upvote 0