Finding: Alternative to SetupBuilder

Discussion in 'Code Samples & Tips' started by snoman, Feb 12, 2009.

1. snoman

snoman Member Licensed User

hi folks,

on my way to create the first cab for my very first own b4p app I wasn't able to pick up all the tools, mainly I did not find the "magic" capwiz.exe

I found an alternate way to create a cab file, with InstBuilder, a freeware tool built by Leung Yat Chun. Details are here

It's not THAT comfortable (the control file has to be edited manually and the the generated cab file is not compressed) but it does its job well.

so short
    snoman

2. klaus

klaus Expert Licensed User

3. snoman

snoman Member Licensed User

oh yes, of cause i did, especially because this source is very easy to find and made me smile but neither the microsoft link nor the the sundialsoft link provide the file. MS serach engine replies a "not found" and the Sundial link is simply dead.

4. klaus

klaus Expert Licensed User

Sorry for sendeing a no more valid information.

Just after having sent my post I tried too to look at the link and saw also that Microsoft doesn't support this link anymore.
    I was googeling around a bit but haven't found something yet.
    If I find something I will of course post it.

Erel: could there be a possibility to add the cabwiz.exe file somewhere on the B4PPC site, with an authorization of MS ?

Best regards.

5. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Thank you for pointing this issue.
    I've checked it and according to WM6 SDK license aggreement, cabwiz can now be redistributed.
    I will upload it in the following day or two.

6. Amalkotey

Amalkotey Active Member Licensed User

Found "Pocket PC Installation Creator"

Hello,

I use the set-up tool of Aperitto software "Pocket PC Installation Creator". It is 39 euros. Simply have a look at the tool. You can download you a demo under Aperitto Software - Home.

Best regards

Amalkotey

7. eww245

eww245 Member Licensed User

There is another FreeWare porgram called QuickCab, it is very easy to use
    and allows using a Setup.dll

It can be found here at XDA

Or here at 1800pocketPc

8. ghale

ghale Active Member Licensed User

Or you can use derez's AllSet to create a Windows Based installer. The app is free and you can find it in the forum in correct section

9. SarahWard

SarahWard Banned

Best Cab Builder

I agree with Amalkotey,

The best CAB and Windows Installer program is PPCIC by Aperitto Software. I have tried three commercial trial programs that do this job and PPCIC is simply the best and easiest to use.

It allows you to build a CAB or windows installer (or both), change registry, create shortcuts and a whole lot more.

It is not freeware but if you need anything that is comprehensive, say for freeware or shareware use, then this is the software to trial.

10. corwin42

corwin42 Expert Licensed User

From what I see it is free if you only want to distribute freeware with it.

Greetings,
    Markus

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice