Finding: Alternative to SetupBuilder

snoman

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi folks,

on my way to create the first cab for my very first own b4p app I wasn't able to pick up all the tools, mainly I did not find the "magic" capwiz.exe

I found an alternate way to create a cab file, with InstBuilder, a freeware tool built by Leung Yat Chun. Details are here

It's not THAT comfortable (the control file has to be edited manually and the the generated cab file is not compressed) but it does its job well.

so short
snoman

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry for sendeing a no more valid information.

Just after having sent my post I tried too to look at the link and saw also that Microsoft doesn't support this link anymore.
I was googeling around a bit but haven't found something yet.
If I find something I will of course post it.

Erel: could there be a possibility to add the cabwiz.exe file somewhere on the B4PPC site, with an authorization of MS ?

Best regards.

Amalkotey

Licensed User
Longtime User
Found "Pocket PC Installation Creator"

Hello,

I use the set-up tool of Aperitto software "Pocket PC Installation Creator". It is 39 euros. Simply have a look at the tool. You can download you a demo under Aperitto Software - Home.

Best regards

Amalkotey

eww245

Licensed User
There is another FreeWare porgram called QuickCab, it is very easy to use
and allows using a Setup.dll

It can be found here at XDA

Or here at 1800pocketPc

IoSonoPiero

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or you can use derez's AllSet to create a Windows Based installer. The app is free and you can find it in the forum in correct section

SarahWard

Banned
Best Cab Builder

I agree with Amalkotey,

The best CAB and Windows Installer program is PPCIC by Aperitto Software. I have tried three commercial trial programs that do this job and PPCIC is simply the best and easiest to use.

It allows you to build a CAB or windows installer (or both), change registry, create shortcuts and a whole lot more.

It is not freeware but if you need anything that is comprehensive, say for freeware or shareware use, then this is the software to trial.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not freeware but if you need anything that is comprehensive, say for freeware or shareware use, then this is the software to trial.

From what I see it is free if you only want to distribute freeware with it.

Greetings,
Markus