Android Question FireBaseAdMob causing compilations problems

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Kevin, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kevin

    Kevin Well-Known Member Licensed User

    I added this library to my project and with it, I cannot get through compiling the app (and it is a small, simple app).

    I get this:
    I haven't adjusted the timeout period yet because this just can't be right. Without the FireBaseAdMob library, the app compiles in about 10-12 seconds.
     
  2. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Well-Known Member Licensed User

    That was it. My config file had it set to 512 and after changing it to 1024, it compiled as quickly as usual.

    On a side note, my system has 6 GB of RAM. I'm not sure if the 512 MB is just a default or if it is based on available RAM and set on first run, but perhaps you could consider changing the default to 1024. That or maybe add it to the 'Tools>IDE Options' menu right next to Configure Process Timeout - or just put both settings in a small 'Advanced' window.

    Just a thought, and I'm definitely not complaining about a manual edit. Just reading about all of the improvements made to B4A over the past few years while I was away has got me pretty excited. But then, I'm a bit of a geek. :D
     
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Kevin

    Kevin Well-Known Member Licensed User

    I noticed my apk went from around 300kb to 1.9mb only by adding firebase ads library.

    I saw another post mentioning that you can exclude certain classes (Google classes) and that only made a few kb difference. That was for b4a 6, so perhaps b4a since then does this sort of optimization automatically?

    Anyway, if that's the price for me to pay for firebase ads then so be it, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

    Edit: I was following the instructions on the post about integrating the firebase library into a project. I'm on my phone right now so I can't easily post links.
     
  5. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

    The default is indeed 1024mb. Your setting was kept from an old version of B4A.

    Don't do it. It is not needed in newer versions of B4A.

    It is actually Google Play Services that is a large library. Firebase services depend on it. This means that you can add more "google libraries" and they will not add much.
     
    Kevin likes this.
Loading...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice