Android Question Google Play App Signing Pros

Multiverse app

Licensed User
Longtime User
With Google Play App Signing, you can securely manage your app signing keys for new or existing apps. Keys are stored on the same secure infrastructure Google uses to store its own keys.

If you lose your keystore or think it may be compromised, Google Play App Signing makes it possible to request a reset to your upload key. If you're not enrolled in Google Play App Signing and lose your keystore, you'll need to publish a new app with a new package name.
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/7384423

What are that pros and cons of this optional google play feature?
One of the pros I found was that if you lost your app signing key, you will be able to reset from google play. No need to delete and re-upload the APK from scratch.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
No need to delete and re-upload the APK from scratch.
It is more than uploading the APK from scratch. If you lose the key you will need to upload your app with a different package name => as a completely new app.
This is the only advantage.

I remember one member who had an issue with the Google maps key after this. I'm pretty sure that it was resolvable.
I wouldn't use this feature for now. Just make sure to backup the key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Cole

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just FYI to others publishing a new app. I accidentally opted-in to this after setting up all the store data. I didn't really want to delete the data I had entered, so I decided to go ahead and try it. You basically just need to create a different key in B4A if you have already published apps with your existing key. It will work fine when uploaded with this different key (it is re-signed by Google's system).

Upvote 0