Android Question Google Play: targetSDK 33 Issue

epiCode

Licensed User
I have targetSDK set to 33 yet I got a notification from google saying:

We've detected that your app is targeting an old version of Android. To provide users with a safe and secure experience, Google Play requires all apps to meet target API level requirements.
From August 31, 2023, if your target API level is not within 1 year of the latest Android release, you won't be able to update your app.

To continue making updates to your app, ensure your app targets Android 13 (API level 33).

Is this a generic mail to everyone? (I am confused because of "We"ve detected that your app..." part)

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
What is your minimum SDK version?
1. I have an app minsdk 23 targetsdk 33 (No Warning)
2. I have an app minsdk 14 targetsdk 33 (Warning)

So if you have the minimum SDK version less than 23, I will advise you update that one as well. Afterall, devices using android < 6 are almost out of the system.

B4X:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="23" android:targetSdkVersion="33"/>

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
That email should include a reference to any app that targets and older targetSdkVersion.

It is not a generic email.
Yes it does. From the email I received, the list of affected apps includes apps that have TargetSdkVersion set to 33 but the minSdkVersion 14

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So if you have the minimum SDK version less than 23, I will advise you update that one as well. Afterall, devices using android < 6 are almost out of the system.
Erel, I would suggest to change in the default ManifestEditor content
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="21" android:targetSdkVersion="33"/>
to
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="23" android:targetSdkVersion="33"/>
for the next update.

Upvote 0

Almora

Licensed User
Longtime User

We've detected that your app is targeting an old version of Android. To provide users with a safe and secure experience, Google Play requires all apps to meet target API level requirements.
From August 31, 2023, if your target API level is not within 1 year of the latest Android release, you won't be able to update your app.

To continue making updates to your app, ensure your app targets Android 13 (API level 33).

Is this a generic mail to everyone? (I am confused because of "We"ve detected that your app..." part)

actually no problem. Install the app and wait for it to be approved by google. this is just warning for those with pre-33 app.

Upvote 0

chfajardo

Licensed User
Longtime User

I received the e-mail, but the subject was "

New deadline: Target API Level​

" and yes, it states to use api level 33 for new apps, or at least api 31 for existing apps

Upvote 0
I got this warning for three of my apps. Remade everything for targetSDK 21-33. One application received confirmation of compliance with the rules in a day. For the second - about a week later. For the third one, it never came. Redesigned the third application for targetSDK 23-33. I'll wait to see what happens. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
Open up the App Content tab in Policy and Programs section. There should be a list of several declarations, including the targetsdk33 issue. I fixed one of my apps to target sdk33 and thought I was through. Turns out there was (a) Government Apps (b)Financial Features and (c) Advertising ID issues still needing to be addressed. Once all those issues were "actioned", the review was almost immediate.

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User

If you had searched the forum before making this post, you'd find this has already been discussed...

I have recently updated a number of my apps to comply with the target API level 33 requirement & I've found that the time it takes for that warning to be removed after the update is reviewed & approved varies a lot. In some cases it was almost immediate & in others it has taken much longer.

I'm 99.9% sure it has nothing to do with the minimum SDK version as most of my apps are API 21 or less & I have at least one that is API 9 & doesn't get the warning since I updated the target SDK to API 33. Also, there is nothing I can find in the Android docs that says there is a minimum SDK requirement (in fact if you leave it out of the manifest it will default to "1"). The minimum SDK simply defines the earliest version of Android your app is compatible with & makes it unable to be installed on devices running an earlier version. The risk of setting the minimum SDK too low is that if you are using API functions that are only available in later versions of Android, the app will crash on devices running earlier versions. In AS you'll get a warning if you try to make an API call that requires a later version of Android than your minimum SDK set in the manifest, but I'm not sure how/if this is implemented in B4X.

I would ignore the advice to update the minimum SDK value, as I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference.

- Colin.

Upvote 0
Open up the App Content tab in Policy and Programs section. There should be a list of several declarations, including the targetsdk33 issue. I fixed one of my apps to target sdk33 and thought I was through. Turns out there was (a) Government Apps (b)Financial Features and (c) Advertising ID issues still needing to be addressed. Once all those issues were "actioned", the review was almost immediate.
Thanks for the advice!
I checked exactly in the Policies section and found the problem.
As I understand it, Google checks at all active versions of the application. Not only for the working version, but for all test versions. It turned out that my version of "Internal Testing" was old. I have not used this testing for several years, but Google does not care. Is there an option with targetSDK less than 33 in any of the active versions of the application (work or test)? If yes, you get a warning and then a sanction!
I guess we have to check all active working and test versions of our applications.

Upvote 0

Sifu

Just a sidenote: Google also checks the URL to your privacy statement, if it is online and works correct. So if you have maintanance to long and your website is unreachable Google will complain and eventually remove your app if no actions is taken.

Upvote 0

epiCode

Licensed User
I got this message now:

We recently told you that your app does not adhere to Google Play Developer Program policies. This violation has now been addressed.
Thanks for helping to keep users safe on Google Play. Go to the Policy status page to see if you have any other warnings or issues with your app.

What did I do?
Absolutely nothing yet.

Upvote 0