How Am I Only Now Hearing About B4X?!!?

cklester

Licensed User
Where have you been?! You look far more capable than other cross-platform development packages out there.

What are the downsides of B4X? The cons? The negatives? What am I missing?

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm.. starting from cons / negatives ?
Looks like you have suffered very much.

Fear not. You are in safe hands now, of Erel (the guru). He will guide you to success (even earning in Store).
His disciplines here will help you in every step.

"Just ask and you will receive"

Regards,

Anand

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Where have you been?!
Right Here, ,and you - what took you so long : I guess Google is only as good as the question that you ask.
What am I missing?
Quite a lot up to now it seems. 😁 Fear not - you have Arrived!

Welcome to the friendliest forum on earth. Trust me, these guys know I'm a conspiracy theorist, so I know.

Which is the point about this forum and this RAD platform.

What @Cableguy said in #1 is true; and, don't worry @LucaMs has a weird sense of "italiano" humour (but he's helped me with a couple of things- no worries). @Alexander Stolte found my missing semi-colon; and @AnandGupta has a way with the system of coding life. [Ok Ok I know there are 10,000 others out there, but I only have a short time - so hats off to Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Germany - that other funny place er.... Oh the USA].

Positives : {without knowing where you are on the learning curve}
  1. Asking questions (even dumb ones - i do it all the time);
  2. Give information about your problem AND what you are trying to do
  3. Post a dummy project illustrating the problem and its code [put the code in the code markup - left of the tool bar of the message editor]
  4. Search the forum first, say where you've looked and not found solutions (in the forum) its a clue to others about where you're stuck
  5. Learn learn and learn, quietly and graciously.
Negatives :
Trying to keep up with @Erel
Um . . . . you might not be able to code for Huawei devices soon.

Go along the lines to 1 to 5 and >>You'll get a response quicker than you think - it will be well explained and comprehensible (provided you played your part as above). None of that bad-tempered c*ap you get on any other forum.

Above All : read this
And this

These guys on this forum are polite, helpful, humorous, foster coding as fun and income-generating etc. BUT, they do get frustrated when you post a query with nothing to analyse and or with cryptic questions that effectively are a guessing game at what you need assistance with. No-one is going to "steal your stuff" because, basically, they've all done it before anyway. Its kinda hard to PTO but mostly they still speak to you in the morning.

You might not hear from him often (ha ha ha) but @Erel is winner of the secret Nobel Prize from us all. He'll tell you when you post in the wrong place, but he'll tell you how to code the right way.

Don't forget to download @klaus's guides and documents on the packages from here

Last edited:

cklester

Licensed User
The major con is that, since its not a main stream language, most companies don't like their developers to use for fear of lack of support and/or functionality

Ah. Yeah... I've had experience with fringe languages. But this one looks to be so capable and easy to use. I do find references of it being used in large companies, so that is encouraging and makes me glad. :)

cklester

Licensed User
Hmm.. starting from cons / negatives ?
Looks like you have suffered very much.

haha! I already grasp the multitude of positives (and probably only a small subset so far). This is a situation where I was thinking, "This is too good to be true." 😁

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@LucaMs has a weird sense of "italiano" humour (but he's helped me with a couple of things- no worries)
What "strange sense of humor"? I've always been a very serious person, ever since I was a boy!

I just help members, when I'm able to do it, like this time:
my missing colon
1599952147821.png

I apologize for this post but I have to defend my reputation!

😄

I've been looking for what may have clogged your intestines.
Fortunately it will be emptied soon.

13 Letters
Staggerbushes
Steeplebushes
12 Letters
Bushrangings
Bushwhackers
Bushwhacking
Buttonbushes
Hobblebushes
11 Letters
Ambushments
Bushinesses
Bushmasters
Bushrangers
Bushranging
Bushwhacked
Bushwhacker
Spicebushes
Staggerbush
Steeplebush
Thornbushes
10 Letters
Ambushment
Bushelling
Bushmaster
Bushranger
Bushwhacks
Buttonbush
Hobblebush
Rosebushes
Saltbushes
Shadbushes
Snowbushes
9 Letters
Ambushers
Ambushing
Babushkas
Bushbucks
Bushelers
Busheling
Bushelled
Bushfires
Bushgoats
Bushiness
Bushlands
Bushwhack
Hagbushes
Maybushes
Spicebush
Tarbushes
Thornbush
8 Letters
Ambushed
Ambusher
Ambushes
Babushka
Bushbuck
Busheled
Busheler
Bushfire
Bushgoat
Bushidos
Bushiest
Bushings
Bushland
Bushless
Bushlike
Bushpigs
Bushtits
Bushwahs
Highbush
Rosebush
Saltbush
Shadbush
Snowbush
7 Letters
Bushels
Bushers
Bushido
Bushier
Bushily
Bushing
Bushman
Bushmen
Bushpig
Bushtit
Bushwah
Bushwas
Hagbush
Maybush
Tarbush
6 Letters
Ambush
Bushed
Bushel
Busher
Bushes
Bushwa
5 Letters
Bushy
4 Letters
Bush

Last edited:

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Yes
I just help members
Where's the semi-colon then, or isn't there one in Italians? - o_O;) I thought (dr) @Alexander Stolte did An Excellent Job . . . . in supporting me and helping with what at the time wasn't actually a semi-colon but some other C-like error I had made.....

Just goes to show what @cklester can expect from the forum . . . .

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
@cklester you'll love it here. Its highly likely you wil have never experienced support like these guys give, ever. These people are beyond words. The enormous amount of online content and examples is great too and if you're a quiet one like me that likes to find things out for yourself, everything is there to do so.

Add to that, nobody here ever makes you feel inferior and there's some big brains here, its the greatest community I have ever found. Them and the language variations make anything you can concieve, achievable.

So many times I read the forum and find stuff I wasn't searching for in particular but am so relieved knowing I will want this info in the future and that its so available. My bookmark list needs its own lookup now its getting out of hand 😁

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
Where have you been?! You look far more capable than other cross-platform development packages out there.

cklester, the cons:
1. You can get meaningful Apps working even when you write really crap code. [me] This removes the motivation for discipline.
2. Erel, Et. Al. keep improving it faster than I can catch up.

Major pro: The forum is very tolerant of dumb questions.

Regards Roger

virpalacios

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was using b4a from version 1.50, choosing b4x was one of my best choices in life, without it I can't keep my timelines. I checked already other frameworks, but the performance and easy to use keep b4x at top of my list.

rraswisak

Licensed User
What am I missing ?
This is day 4th since you join in this community, thats good decission and you are ready for the journey. Sooner or later your "missing thing" will reveal.

All popular development tools out there was great, unfortunately not a single app (serious app) been created by those tools. My brain just stuck in the very first step on how to use them. To many step (line code) just to create simple Hello World sample. I remember when first install B4A and want to show message box, it only one line of code! just like how VB6 does as my background.

After that, my spirit was fired, i want to make app with this B4X, i want to make mobile apps!

For me, it's not about a goodness of what they say, its all about what i need.

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
You will not find a more helpful group here - even though they number in the 10,000's. Erel will even send you some help personally, from time to time - (Its almost like speaking to God!) - I am a VB6 Programmer who tried and tried to get into .Net. - Fortunately I failed. - Love the VB6 - Love the B4X ! (Its like VB6 on Steroids - AND it makes Multi-Platform Apps without the tears and frustrations of other "main stream" programming languages).

Example of an Attachment (Picture Only)
Look for attachments that look like this
1600065490937.png
They normally contain GOLD !

Last edited:

cjpryor

Licensed User
I am new to B4X as well. I am a professional software developer who is soon to retire from the company I have worked at for almost 34 years. In that company I have developed enterprise applications using COBOL, VB6, ASP, ASP.Net, ASP.Net MVC, VB.NET, C#, and, of course, Java. I have never had the need or opportunity to develop cross platform applications at work.

However, I have developed (and marketed) desktop and Android apps on my own time at home using Java. I wanted to develop iOS apps but did not want to have to learn Objective C. Since I am retiring I decided to rewrite all of my applications and forge ahead into the world of iOS app development. I thought it would be great to have one development environment and one set of code for all platforms.

So, I started searching for cross-platform (native deployment) application development tools. I found many options but some were too expensive and others did not support all the platforms that I want to deploy to (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS). Finally, I found B4X. I agree, with @cklester, it was very difficult, at least for me, to find but I am very happy I found it AND this developer community.

I downloaded B4J and B4A and am beginning to explore the capabilities by redeveloping my Desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) and Android apps using this tool. I can only spend a little bit of time on this effort each week because I am still employed full time. However, I am very happy with what I have found so far. When I am ready to build my iOS apps the cost of B4i looks very reasonable for the value I will get out of it.

In addition to all of the positives listed so far by others, one of the biggest pros for me is that the code is based on Java. This is great since, if I have to, I can make calls to custom Java classes. Of course, I am trying to avoid that but it gives this environment pretty much unlimited potential for my application development. Of course, another major feature is that I can finally develop iOS apps without having to learn Objective C.

The only con, from my perspective, is that I cannot use a Mac for development (unless I boot my Mac to Windows of course but that pretty much misses the point of having the Mac). I completely understand why this is and the pros more than outweigh that single con.

I have taken the time to read all of the documentation available, watched the videos, and have extensively used the search feature in the forums to find the latest and greatest way to do whatever I am trying to accomplish. Of course, as Erel has pointed out in one of his introductory videos, the best way to learn is by programming.

Anyway, thanks to all for your contributions. I look forward to a long and productive road ahead.