Android Question How hide source code ?

Matteo Granatiero

Licensed User
How hide source code and image of application. I see the thread of Erel (Relased obfusced) but I don't know how I do..
Sorry for my english

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just select "Release (obfuscated)" from the dropdown list you see under the menu items row.
Anyway, don't waste your time. There are decompilers out there that will show your program to anybody willing to spend some time on it.
@Informatix used to distribute a PDF binded to a payed-for lib of his where directions on how to better hide your code were given. I didn't try it personally but often read good comments about it. Try searching the Forum.

Upvote 0

Semen Matusovskiy

Licensed User
Personally I do not understand a purpose of obfuscated.

At first, to hack a code is enough complex task for dilettantes.
1) Typically even author can't understand own logic since some monthes.
2) Java code generated by B4A even without "obfuscated" is more complex for understanding than "native" java code.

So, we need to worry about professionals only. But for this category "obfuscated" is not an obstacle. In run time all is visible anyway.

I think that alone protection is to move really secret algorithms to own webserver.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Compiling with obfuscation is a good option. It is very simple to do. Make sure to go over the pitfalls: Code Obfuscation

It is especially useful for hiding strings. Without obfuscation it is trivial to see the program strings. Obfuscation makes it more complicated (process global strings only).

Upvote 0

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Personally I do not understand a purpose of obfuscated.
Just because I don't understand or fully agree with something, does not mean it isn't a better method. For example, its common practice for people who want to succeed in other fields, to copy the methods of more successful people in the same field. I haven't checked, but I would say the big boys obfuscate, and I assume they know better than me, so I'll take their lead.

At first, to hack a code is enough complex task for dilettantes.
1) Typically even author can't understand own logic since some monthes.
I know I have looked into APK's with a simple zip expander to check shell commands where scripts have been simply stored as text (superuser methods). What I am trying to give an example (as shell stuff is very different to java), is that I or others may simple wish to get a single line, not everything. ie a "leg up" on your competition

2) Java code generated by B4A even without "obfuscated" is more complex for understanding than "native" java code.
It may be more so, but when compared to other obfuscation, maybe not. I cant recall exactly, but when I have done some internal android shell dump on another APK compared to a B4A one, I can see all my class names un-obfuscated, with the method names obfuscated, but on another APK all the class names where a single letter, and appeared to somehow possess extra "depth" eg my code looked like:
B4X:
Class1.NK132SGW
while the other one looked like
B4X:
a.a.a.a.a.a.a.z
I didn't try de-compiling it to see what actually came out, but it didn't look pretty. However, to an extent I agree with you in that the actual "meat" for me are the actual calls to java. In addition, all the calls into the B4A libraries, are un-obfuscated entry points.

So, we need to worry about professionals only. But for this category "obfuscated" is not an obstacle. In run time all is visible anyway.
But lets not go out of our way to make it too easy for anyone;)

I think that alone protection is to move really secret algorithms to own webserver.
Its a sliding scale on how much you are ready to spend to protect what you do have. Maybe a small investment to make it a little less "enjoyable".

I guess in reality, the reason I obfuscate is to save any embarrassment from someone reading my code and seeing how bad it is, too easily.

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When it comes to security I strongly suggest that you use this https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/probundle-chargeable.58754/

Also read post #169 and #209 in the link above.

You will not find many b4x users that knows more about security than Informatrix, he's proven many times over the years that he can easily intercept/get important info from APK/Apps. You should try to read his previous posts about the subject, you will learn a lot from what he says.

Anyway use the link above, oh yes and even though the Pro Bundle is now free to use, if you use it I would strongly suggest that you donate to it, even if only €10 for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0