iOS Question How much could cost a local Mac Builder ?

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm actually using the hosted compilation that Erel offers at a good price.
To speed up compilation and (I think) other task, I was sthinking if it makes sense to buy a Mac.
Considering that b4i development would be the only pourpouse, which model of Mac would be adeguate and which could be the price on the second hand market ?
Can I find something below € 300 for example and would I appreciate much the benefit respect to the remote compilation ?

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
With hosted remote compiling and publishing (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4i-v2-30-beta-has-been-released.59124/#post-372309), I guess you really do not need a Mac...
However, the possibility to use the Simulator and see your app in action on all different iPhones/iPads is nice and a real Mac helps here...

You could try to get hold of a 2nd hand MacMini. I bought a 2nd hand "late 2012 model" for EUR 300 but I added more memory and a SSD disk so at the end I paid about EUR 400 but it really rocks! Try to avoid the most recent MacMini-models since you cannot add RAM unless you can get a recent but powerful one for a good price.

It should be said that I bought the MacMini because I wanted to learn Swift too.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A few months back I bought a second hand iMac 17" (All-in-one) for $150 ~ 100 GB pounds
It has a lot of memory and hard disk space and with iOS 10

Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, thanks everybody.
I found for about € 150 this one. Is it good enough for this porpouse only ? (I don't need Mac for anything else than B4I development).

Cattura.JPG

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Too old. The cpu PowerPC is not used any longer by Mac - they all use Intel these days.
You could try this offer/one http://www.subito.it/informatica/apple-mini-mac-padova-149862643.htm
which seems like a great offer. However you should ask the seller which model (late 2010/2012) becasue 2GBit RAM is on the lower side but if it is one of the older models, you can add 2Gbit RAM for EUR 50,00

Edit:I think it is a Mac mini (metà 2011) which would be fine if you add 2gbit of RAM

Buona fortuna

Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
Mac MIni is an interesting solution, but need the external monitor.
Is Maverick mandatory for this needings ?

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is true you need an extra monitor but if you only want it for compiling and using the simulator, then you can use TeamViewer like I do:

wow, interesting ... Do I need an external monitor just for the initial setup of the "platform" and then forget it ? Or each time you start to dvelope need to connect the monitor for a while ?
My Windows PC is an all-in-one ... no separate monitor

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My monitor has two inputs (HDMI and DVI) so I connect my PC to DVI and MacMini to HDMI (there are adapters for the MacMini if you wish to use other connections) but I use Teamviewer all the time. If you have only one input on your monitor, connect it to your PC likenow and use Teamviewer for the MacMini....

PS: quella offerta su Subito è molto buona. Se cerci MacMini in giro su EBay o Subito costano molto di più!

Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, I can find a cheap monitor for 50 € and solve.
But, can I start TeamViewer at boot and never connect a monitor to the Mac or I will need it in some situations?
About the Ram, 2G is not enough?

Ps grazie mille per la dritta, l'ho già contattato, se mi dice che si può aggiungere ram e ha maverick lo prendo.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
2gb ram might be enough but it is on the lower side. You can try and add RAM later if you need it...

For the monitor, you could borrow one to set up the networking on the Mac and to install Teamviewer and then there is no further need for a monitor..But a cheap monitor is good to have..

Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do the same as @moster67

I have my PC and Mac Mini connected to the same monitor, but most of the time I use Teamviewer to access my Mac. What's nice about Teamviewer is that it even starts when the Mac is just restarted at the login screen, so you can still login to the Mac via TV before it reaches the desktop.

I also use the same wireless keyboard/mouse, just switch the USB adapter when needed.

I would just be careful about buying an older model, as iOS 10 will probably be out this year around June and could have new requirements.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would just be careful about buying an older model, as iOS 10 will probably be out this year around June and could have new requirements.

True and your point is valid but Apple normally guarantees that their computers have a long lifespan. For instance, MacMini 2009 is still supported with the latest OS (El Capitan):
http://www.imore.com/which-macs-will-support-os-x-el-capitan
The model I sent him a link of is most likely a late 2011 model so hopefully it should still work for a few more years...

Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
One more question :
Instead of accessing the Mac with TeamViewer, isn't it better to install b4i on the Mac (parallel desktop) and do everything on the Mac?

Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have never enjoyed running Windows on a Mac computer...

Also, TeamViewer is free.

Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I agree, but if it works I think should be a good solution to have all the development on a single local machine.
And, to be honest, Teamviewer is "free", not free ....

Upvote 0