Other How to ask a question

kickaha

Licensed User
Longtime User
Having helped with a few problems on here, I have some advice on how to get the best response to your questions:

1) Start a new thread for each separate problem, then others can find it easier when searching.

2) Make sure the thread title sums up the problem.

3) Try to give all the details of your problem.

4) If you have code that is not working, post ALL the relevant code as the problem may not be where you think it is.

5) Please post when your problem has been solved (the people helping you like the feedback):)

Posting like this makes it easier for the people who offer help, so you will get help quicker.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you kickaha. I will like to add:
- You should make sure to post the question in the correct sub-forum. Basic4android questions should go here:
http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/forums/questions.26/

- Use the code tags when posting code.
- If your code requires any file, export your project as a zip file (from the file menu) and upload the zip file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
...and please do a Preview post before Submit reply and check your post to make sure it makes sense and to catch obvious spelling errors. Even those for whom English is a second language (wish I could speak more than one language) can catch simple typos like "butoon" instead of "button", etc. Sometimes, it is very difficult to figure out what a post is saying just because of typos. When creating a post, click on the ABC-check mark at the top right of the message box for directions on getting a spelling checker.

Also, be sure you have checked these resources before posting a question:

The Beginners Guide

The Documentation Wiki (link is in yellow at the top of each forum page)

The search box at the top-right of each forum page.

Be aware that the search boxes at the top of the page here and on the left side of the page in the Wiki match may or may not show words which are not whole-word matches. For example, if you search for "case", you will be shown hits for "ToLowerCase", but if you search for "ToLower", you will get no hits.

If you are looking for a way to do something in B4A and a search doesn't help, check the list of external libraries which add functions not already in B4A.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pjd

Licensed User
Longtime User
4) If you have code that is not working, post ALL the relevant code as the problem may not be where you think it is.

...but remember that irrelevant code may not be as irrelevant as you think it is !

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is another way to search this site:

1. Go the forum you want to search, such as
HTML:
http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-updates-questions/

To search all the B4A forums, use​
HTML:
http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android/

2. Add "site:" to the front of the URL and the search text to the end, like this:
HTML:
site:http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-updates-questions/ "some text"

In Chrome, press Enter to have Google look up and display the finds. In other browsers, you may have to cut-and-paste the text from #2, above, into the search box on Google's site.

The advantages of this search are that (1) you can restrict the search to a specific forum and (2) the Google search may find searches which the forum's search function does not.

Correction:

Actually, B4A *does* allow searching a specific forum. On a forum's listing page, click on (*ahem*) "Search this forum". That line also leads to an Advanced Search function allowing you to specify which forums to search.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I notice many times a forum user makes a recommendation to another user. Immediately the requesting user responds: 'I will do', I will take a look when I get home', I will do this, that' , etc. All that does is put their thread in the forefront and pushes threads with responses of substance back.
Is it really necessary to respond when nothing is done. Forum users read the thread and discover nothing new, when they can focus on a thread that offers something.

Upvote 0

tamadon

Licensed User
Longtime User
I notice many times a forum user makes a recommendation to another user. Immediately the requesting user responds: 'I will do', I will take a look when I get home', I will do this, that' , etc. All that does is put their thread in the forefront and pushes threads with responses of substance back.
Is it really necessary to respond when nothing is done. Forum users read the thread and discover nothing new, when they can focus on a thread that offers something.

I think this only show that the discussion is organic. I think this should be fine because some other people might be waiting for the answer as well.

If the user can only respond a week after he returns from a leave for instance then mentioning that would prevent further question from others "Have you looked at it?", "Is it working?", "Where are you?" etc etc..

As long as he returns with final feedback, I personally think it's OK.

Upvote 0

jeeradate

Licensed User
Longtime User
How can I get the notification email when someone reply on my questions?

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
This thread is about how to ask a question. It is not for asking specific questions about other topics

When you have a new question and after you have tried all the searches described in this thread, you should always start a new thread for your question.

Upvote 0

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
Having helped with a few problems on here, I have some advice on how to get the best response to your questions:

1) Start a new thread for each separate problem, then others can find it easier when searching.

2) Make sure the thread title sums up the problem.

3) Try to give all the details of your problem.

5) Please post when your problem has been solved (the people helping you like the feedback):)

Posting like this makes it easier for the people who offer help, so you will get help quicker.

Thank you for advise. I don't solve my problem many months. May you help to finish it? I don't know that What is question's name? I try explain my widget. Here you are ,my widget

P.S. I'm not good at English and Programming

Best Regards
Theera

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
To repeat the text of the post right above yours:

This thread is about how to ask a question. It is not for asking specific questions about other topics

When you have a new question and after you have tried all the searches described in this thread, you should always start a new thread for your question.

Upvote 0

robife

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just purchased basic4android and every time I try to down it to my android 4.03 tablet I get the message download failed.

What to do?

First I think you post you question in wrong place/section.

To download b4a full after purchase on you windows pc, look at you mail from administator he will send you links.

To download Brige app for connecting you phone/tab wirelessly to windows computer go to google play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImFueXdoZXJlc29mdHdhcmUuYjRhLmI0YWJyaWRnZSJd

watch this too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et2PxsmNQVc

I hope this will help you a bit
good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0