Android Question How to indicate more text to user?

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to display some text to users and depending on the user's device, the text will probably be taller then their screen size, so I plan on using a scrollview to allow the user to scroll and see the entire text.

But, when the text is shown in the label/scrollview, there is a good chance that the bottom of the scrollview will NOT visual cut-off a line of text at the bottom - meaning that because there are no visible cut-off lines of text, the text may appear to be complete to the user and they will have no idea there is more text and they need to scroll down to see the off-screen text at the bottom.

If I could display the scroll-bar, then this would provide a visual cue to the user that more text exists off-screen under the bottom of the scrollview.

But I read this post:

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/scrollbar-width-and-permanence.78157/

And it looks like forcing the scroll bars to be displayed is not possible.

So, how can I make sure the user knows that there is more text past the bottom of the visible part of the scrollview?

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
When there is more text, why not display a button with a down arrow at the bottom right of the SV that the user can press to scroll the scrollview? When there is no more text, hide the button.

Upvote 0