I sell my idea for an online multiplayer game

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have too many distractions that prevent me from developing my app.

So, since in this way I will complete it by the end of 2015!
in the meantime, if someone offers me 50,000€ 60,000€ plus 10% of net profits,
I will gladly sell the idea.

(My awakening was strange, today :D)

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a killer idea about a brand new game, but I don't intend to sell it, so people, please don't even think about contacting me about this idea, I simply wouldn't sell it regardless of any kind of offer.
Luca! can I trade it for yours?

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Beja,

I've got two almost good ideas.. would you trade your good one for mine couple? A fair 2 x 1 trade.. :)

Seriously, now.
I think that Luca should prepare a functioning demo and then approach a game publisher to eventually sell his project.
That will solve many of his concerns about intellectual property plagiarism and could lead to publication.

Umberto

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have more than one idea, fortunately, but this should be very profitable for those that implement the game.

A demo would not be enough to protect me, Umberto; also made a working demo, I might as well publish the app.

One of the most critical points (note: not the only one!) is that if I develop all by myself, I might have difficulty in managing the number of users.
Create Whatsapp will not have been complicated undertaking, managing its millions of users is complicated.

Anyway, this offer has no expiry date.

If necessary I will contact directly some software houses.

[I know that many people have laughed at this, but imagine if the idea had been Whatsapp: 50.000 € + 10% would be a bargain for the swh, not for its creator]

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
50.000 just for an idea is a lot, people/companies let their ideas created as app for less than 1/10th of that.

the idea of whatsapp was far from new aswell, it's all about luck.
if the masses of people picked another one back then and spread the word then noboby might've known now what whatsapp is.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would you be willing to spend € 50,000 if you knew that in this way you would earn millions?

I would not spend € 5 to earn € 4.

The question is whether this game can gain a lot more of those 50,000 or not.

I think so, but I could be wrong, of course.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What I am about to write is not perfectly inherent to the subject; however, it may be useful to understand what can happen in some cases.

Do you know how much 30 seconds tv commercial costs during the final of the Super Bowl?

Currently about 4 million dollars.

Still, there are companies willing to pay for that (and maybe they produce popcorn!)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but most people need to work 3 years for that amount of money and you don't have any garantee that it will bring up a buck.

even in the 80s you could only knock on a software house's door if you had a preview of your game.

a sketch or a typed out idea doesn't sell I'm affraid.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but most people need to work 3 years for that amount of money and you don't have any garantee that it will bring up a buck.

even in the 80s you could only knock on a software house's door if you had a preview of your game.

a sketch or a typed out idea doesn't sell I'm affraid.

In fact, I do not think of selling the idea to a single person who earns that amount in 3 years, but to a software house.

However, ok, I will develop it. Eventually, when users become too numerous, I will ask the help of Erel to manage dozens of servers :D

RAJAN MBA

Licensed User
Longtime User
Luca,
IMHO, Neither idea, an app or game has any value any more, it is the number of users/subscribers which is valued. Whatsapp was bought for it's millions of user base. The killer app /game concept is a myth.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
and why is the interest so big for that userbase? to flood them with ads?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Luca,
IMHO, Neither idea, an app or game has any value any more, it is the number of users/subscribers which is valued. Whatsapp was bought for it's millions of user base. The killer app /game concept is a myth.

I do not understand: if whatsapp is not useful, and then a good idea, it would not have been downloaded by millions of people!

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

I do not even understand this question: publishes someone his apps hoping that it will be downloaded by the fewest number of people possible?

No, the app would not be free with advertising, but low price and with in-app billing (I would do it that way).

RAJAN MBA

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do not understand: if whatsapp is not useful, and then a good idea, it would not have been downloaded by millions of people!
The value of whatsapp was because it was downloaded by that many people, not because of the app per se. 'Line', Nimbus, ICQ (mobile),Viber, Trillian, IMO, Telegram etc offer similar function of Whatsapp but their value is low because they don't have sufficient user base across various platform. So it is a lottery. Some apps catch the fancy of users and they gain in value, some just exist.

RAJAN MBA

Licensed User
Longtime User
Depends on the buyer. It may be to generate revenue from ads or subscription or to branch over to another OS, or to expand the core business to already captive users of the mobile platform, or to prevent the competition from gaining advantage or to shut down the app if it disrupts the core market of the buyer.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The value of whatsapp was because it was downloaded by that many people, not because of the app per se. 'Line', Nimbus, ICQ (mobile),Viber, Trillian, IMO, Telegram etc offer similar function of Whatsapp but their value is low because they don't have sufficient user base across various platform. So it is a lottery. Some apps catch the fancy of users and they gain in value, some just exist.

Maybe it was the first of that kind.
Maybe it was advertised better.
Maybe it has a catchy name.
Maybe it is better.

I don't know

But I know that my app does not exists on market.

RAJAN MBA

Licensed User
Longtime User
Apps are like movies -you never know which one will be a hit , that's the reason no one buys an idea anymore- you need to have a hit app to sell.