I'd like to show you my games

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello there
Now that I'm going to release my first game, I'd like to show you all the games I have been making during the last year. Maybe too many. I think I wont finish most of them, but here they are.

Before discovering libGDX:

Flappy remix:

Yeah, we all know Flappy bird uh? I decided to do my own one, just to test the game programming world. I don't think it's bad, but I don't think I'll even port it to GDX (too many clones out there)

Zombie game

A very simple game. Random Zombies approaching your position. Just kill'em all.
I think I can change the graphics and port to LibGDX in the near future. I think I'll keep it as an endless game, no levels, just try to stay alive. Maybe adding more weapons, like shotguns, grenades... that you can buy at a shop. And maybe adding an online scoreboard...

Runner game

Pixels!!!! I have even the music and sounds for this one. Simple game, just touch the screen to jump. I even wrote my own level editor for this one. Not sure about this one...

Pool game

This one took me many many hours!
I had to write all the physics, it was something like a nightmare. Now I'd use Box2D for this. I don't think I'll finish this one...

After LibGDX!

Catapult

Yeah, I'm sure many of you know this one...
BTW, if you want to play this one you can beta test it here!
I'll release this one in a few days (first game released, yay!)

Car game

A game like Hill Climb Racing. I'll go for this one later. I think it has a lot of posibilities, and it's very addicting!

Platform game

This will be my next game. For sure.
I love pixel art, and I love platform games, so...
The idea is that in every level you have to open a chest and get the treasure inside. This way the door opens and you can leave the level with the treasure. So there will be some kind of puzzles, doors, temporized mechanisms, moving platforms...
It's done using Box2d + LibGDX. Box2D is great 4 collision detection, but for a platformer... there are many many hacks, not the best kind of game to learn Box2D... I'm making the maps with tiled.

I have also a lunar lander one, but no video, sorry...

PS: After releasig Catapult, I'll focus in only one game, or I'll never finish anything!

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow! All your games are beautiful and impressive. Hope you will release it soon.

Descartex

Licensed User
Longtime User
I love pool, so my vote is for it ;-)
The others are incredible!!!!!
A very, very, very good work!!!!
Congratulations!!!

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I love pool, so my vote is for it ;-)
Yeah, me too. As a pool player I've allways wanted to make a pool game. The problem I see is that in needs to be focused on multiplayer, otherwise it would be boring. Or maybe making an AI to play against. I don't like none of them :(
Another concept would be making levels. I mean, in one level you have some balls placed on the table and a limited amount of shoots available. I you can clear the table you go for the next level.
Another problem I see for a pool game is the physics. Box2D is only for 2d, and a complete pool game simulation needs to be 3d to be able to take care of the vertical spin of the balls. I could fake it, of course, applying some acceleration when needed...

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
These all look awesome! Good luck with the platform game. I tried writing one a long time ago and got stuck trying to write correct collision between the player and the level. It was good fun though and could get you a lot of downloads if you keep your idea simple and fun.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations on such a nice portfolio! Tell me, the zombie game, is it based on a 3D engine or are those just sprites?

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
These all look awesome! Good luck with the platform game. I tried writing one a long time ago and got stuck trying to write correct collision between the player and the level. It was good fun though and could get you a lot of downloads if you keep your idea simple and fun.
Collision is handled by Box2D. At first I started to do all collision by myself, but having such a great tool...
I don't see "3D things"... but I see blood, and, about another post...!
Blood is not a problem here. It's a zombie game, so there has to be blood and gore. The problem with catapult was only because I wanted to do it "kids friendly"
Well, it does look 3D-ish, like Resident Evil 2 from the Playstation era, hence the question... :)
Yeah, you're right. Those are pre-rendered sprites I got from opengameart.
Anyway, we need (?!) or, better, you game developers, take in consideration that beautiful "tool" Unity3D.
Unity 3d is buch better for 3D games, but for 2D I think LibGDX is powerfull enough. And once you learn how to use it, you can go very fast.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyway, we need (?!) or, better, you game developers, take in consideration that beautiful "tool" Unity3D.
I'm trying to get into Unreal Engine 4. It's able to deploy your project to a variety of platforms, such as Android, iOS and PC.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here a new idea:
I was going for the platformer, but I find myself addicted to this little game:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sk.flashdev.android.moonlander
So I'd like to do something similar.
At the moment I only have a very basic prototype:
The idea is that you control an UFO and you have to rescue your friends, wich are lost somewhere in the level, and one by one, take them to your ship to complete the level.
The ufo is controlled by tilting the device to adjust the rotation and pressing a button to fly.
I think this one could be easy to make, and is an addictive concept.
What do you think?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am having the same issue. I was going for a platformer game or another box2d game but then found myself working on a puzzle game that i have almost finished. So because it should not take as long as the other both games i decided to finish it and then go back to a box2d game (if nothing else will catch my eyes :D)

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If it wont take much you could go for it but i really liked your platformer game so i vote for the platformer :)