Wish IDE : search and replace options

Discussion in 'Bugs & wishlist' started by doncx, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. doncx

doncx Member Licensed User

I am a frequent, but not constant, b4a user. The product and the community are excellent.

Most of the time, I'm developing in other languages/platforms and IDEs.

When I jump in to b4a, I find the search and replace behaviors to be non-standard and therefore a bit inconvenient.

Erel, I understand that b4a has a significant legacy of use and therefore changing the keystrokes and behaviors would be disruptive to many current users, but I wonder if you might offer an IDE option that would support more standard search and replace keystrokes.

I use several other windows-based text editors quite a bit (Notepad++ and Sublime Text 3, for example), and they support what I'd consider a more standard set of controls.

Here's what they are:

CTRL-F - search in the current file
    F3 - search for next occurrance
    CTRL-H - search and replace in the current file
    CTRL-SHIFT-F - search across project files creating list of results (also supports replace)
    ESCAPE - clears any of these (very helpful!)

If the b4x IDE could be made to support these keystrokes, transitioning between environments would be smoother.

Thanks for your consideration!

- Don

JohnCody and ShaneG30 like this.
  2. ShaneG30

ShaneG30 Well-Known Member Licensed User

You can access Find and Quick Replace with F3.

3. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

In most cases you should only use Ctrl + F as it is a quick, index based, search that works in all modules. You can also replace from that window:

[​IMG]

ShaneG30 likes this.
  4. doncx

doncx Member Licensed User

Thanks for your replies, guys. The functions work well, and work as you describe. However, they are not keystroke-consistent with the standard behavior of many other text editors and IDEs. That is my only point. Consistency is a good thing and assists us who develop in multiple environments.

kohle likes this.
  5. kohle

kohle Active Member Licensed User

I have the same problem when switching from other IDEs to b4x.
    Maybe an idea is that the user can redefine the search keys ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice