Wish IDE : search and replace options

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a frequent, but not constant, b4a user. The product and the community are excellent.

Most of the time, I'm developing in other languages/platforms and IDEs.

When I jump in to b4a, I find the search and replace behaviors to be non-standard and therefore a bit inconvenient.

Erel, I understand that b4a has a significant legacy of use and therefore changing the keystrokes and behaviors would be disruptive to many current users, but I wonder if you might offer an IDE option that would support more standard search and replace keystrokes.

I use several other windows-based text editors quite a bit (Notepad++ and Sublime Text 3, for example), and they support what I'd consider a more standard set of controls.

Here's what they are:

CTRL-F - search in the current file
F3 - search for next occurrance
CTRL-H - search and replace in the current file
CTRL-SHIFT-F - search across project files creating list of results (also supports replace)
ESCAPE - clears any of these (very helpful!)

If the b4x IDE could be made to support these keystrokes, transitioning between environments would be smoother.

Thanks for your consideration!

- Don

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
In most cases you should only use Ctrl + F as it is a quick, index based, search that works in all modules. You can also replace from that window:

SS-2018-09-09_08.51.06.png

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your replies, guys. The functions work well, and work as you describe. However, they are not keystroke-consistent with the standard behavior of many other text editors and IDEs. That is my only point. Consistency is a good thing and assists us who develop in multiple environments.

kohle

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the same problem when switching from other IDEs to b4x.
Maybe an idea is that the user can redefine the search keys ?