iOS Question I'm (apparently) still confused about certificates, provision profiles, app ID's, etc.

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I followed the videos/steps to create these and got a test app working in release mode, but installed via OTA deployer.
Now, I started working on porting my production iOS app and using the same certificate and devices in the apple developer account, but created a new app ID and provisioning profile. But all *appears* to work until I post the link in Safari, get the confirmation for "Open this page in 'iTunes'?", select "Open", then nothing.
I have a feeling it has something to do with a name in the certificate/app/project properties, etc not matching another.
Is there something that explains this clearly? The video in this tutorial says to use certain selections/values, but is not a clear explanation of what is happening here and what's dependent on what.
Thanks.

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
As I keep bashing my head on this, I'm questioning and second-guessing everything:
- Is the private signing key unique to me, or to each app? (I assumed me, so I re-used the same one that worked previously)
- Is the certificate unique to me, or to each app? (I also assumed me, so I re-used the same one that worked previously, so also had the same prev key)

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also just re-created the key, certificate, and provisioning profile, and after I build the release app and try to download, I get an "illegal characters in path" message, but it doesn't specify which path, or which character(s).
1676657736346.png

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
The OTA Deployer has been updated couple of days ago to fix the open with itunes issue. Download the new version and try again

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
The OTA Deployer has been updated couple of days ago to fix the open with itunes issue. Download the new version and try again

Oh, I didn't know that.
But sadly my current issue is before I even get to the OTA Deployer... just trying to download the last-compiled release version is not working šŸ˜ž

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. You only need one app ID for one app.
2. You need 2 provision profile. Adhoc and Store provision profiles
a. Adhoc for testing which should include your testing devices UDID.
b. Store for ONLY uploading to the appstore.
3. OTA Deployer: You must compile your app with Adhoc provision in Release Mode

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. You only need one app ID for one app.
2. You need 2 provision profile. Adhoc and Store provision profiles
a. Adhoc for testing which should include your testing devices UDID.
b. Store for ONLY uploading to the appstore.
3. OTA Deployer: You must compile your app with Adhoc provision in Release Mode
1. Right.
2. I'm not releasing to a store yet, so just one (adhoc) for now.
3. Right... and I tried explicitly specifying that provision profile in the Project Attributes section, which made no difference.

But what I want to know is:
a. If I create a private signing key for one app, can I use it for another app?
b. If I create a certificate using that key, and it works for one app, can I use it for another app?

Thanks.

Upvote 0