iOS Tutorial Installing apps with Apple Configurator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting from B4i v7.20 it is possible to install apps, when the iOS device is physically connected to a local Mac, using Apple Configurator 2.
It is supported by all iOS versions and is a must with iOS 14.5+ when using the local builder.

Benefits:

- No need to approve installation.
- Simpler process.

Enabling this feature is done under Tools - Build Server - Server Settings.

On the Mac:

- Open the app store.
- Install and run Apple Configurator 2
- Select Install Automation Tools in the top left menu.

Note that the B4i builder server cannot be started from SSH.

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello @Erel
So my feedback is as follows.

I downloaded and installed B4i 7.20 Beta #2 and installed Apple Configurator 2. I connected my iPhone directly to my MBP and followed the ridiculously simple instructions above, all my apps installed on my iPhone without any issues 🌠🌠🌠🌠🌠

I love the fact that your instructions are so easy to follow, this includes your instructions on setting up and using a local mac builder.

Anyway using B4i 7.20 Beta #2 with Apple Configurator 2 works 100% flawlessly and worked first time of asking πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

omarruben

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello @Erel
So my feedback is as follows.

I downloaded and installed B4i 7.20 Beta #2 and installed Apple Configurator 2. I connected my iPhone directly to my MBP and followed the ridiculously simple instructions above, all my apps installed on my iPhone without any issues 🌠🌠🌠🌠🌠

I love the fact that your instructions are so easy to follow, this includes your instructions on setting up and using a local mac builder.

Anyway using B4i 7.20 Beta #2 with Apple Configurator 2 works 100% flawlessly and worked first time of asking πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

can you give some help here please...
I have download last B4i version :

- selected the option "Use Apple configurator to install"
2021-03-11 13_28_50-Window.jpg

- the IP is correct
- my Mac is runing with the congurator, it did recognize my mobile device (firewall is off for easy debug)
- I hit run on B4i and I get :

Sending data to remote compiler. Error
Communication error: ConnectFailure

did I forgot some step ?

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
can you give some help here please...
I have download last B4i version :

- selected the option "Use Apple configurator to install"
View attachment 109477
- the IP is correct
- my Mac is runing with the congurator, it did recognize my mobile device (firewall is off for easy debug)
- I hit run on B4i and I get :

Communication error: ConnectFailure

did I forgot some step ?

Have you physically connected the phone via cable?

omarruben

Licensed User
Longtime User
the Macbook is connected via wi-fi, the iphone via USB to the Macbook
- the B4iBuilServer is connected and working to 192.168.1.202, but after it finish to compile asks for the b4i -bridge to be runing
- on the Apple Configurator 2 the automation tools are installed

*** on the terminal I see the Macbook has an IP that looks for WAN
should be 192.168.1.202 but instead show 169.254.152.108

Last edited:

omarruben

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have it working !!!.. you just have to have patience, it takes time to upload and run the program

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This mean the iOS device needs to connect to the Mac using a USB data cable.
Yes it does. Just connect the iPhone to your Mac, run Apple Configurator 2, select Install Automation Tools in AC2, check use AC in B4i (you need to uncheck Use Hosted Builder in B4i) and that is that. You run your program in B4i and within a few seconds your app has been installed on your iPhone or indeed iPad your AC2 on your Mac

Installing your apps via AC2 runs like a dream and is absolutely flawless for me, worked first time out.

elombert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Starting from B4i v7.20 (currently in beta) it is possible to install apps, when the iOS device is physically connected to a local Mac, using Apple Configurator 2.
This is an alternative to the standard over the air installation.

Benefits:

- No need to approve installation.
- Simpler process.

It is possible that in the not too distant future, this will be the only supported way with local Macs, due to new restrictions in iOS.

Enabling this feature is done under Tools - Build Server - Server Settings.

On the Mac:

- Open the app store.
- Install and run Apple Configurator 2
- Select Install Automation Tools in the top left menu.

Note that the B4i builder server cannot be started from SSH.

What? Maybe I missed some news!! Is it possible now to install apps on IOS without the need to submit it to Apple Store?

omarruben

Licensed User
Longtime User
What? Maybe I missed some news!! Is it possible now to install apps on IOS without the need to submit it to Apple Store?
nope, still need to pay the fee , generate certificates and runs on debug mode ... NOT RELEASE ... or am I wrong???? YES YOU CAN INSTALL THE APP IN RELEASE MODE

Last edited:

omarruben

Licensed User
Longtime User
Would be nice if someone makes a tutorial for dummies like me , showing all steps and features

omarruben

Licensed User
Longtime User
wow!!!!!!! I just tried to install an ipa in release mode... and works!!!!! now I can make my friends jealous!!!!:cool:

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
No problem on paying the fee for the Apple Developer Program if I can install IOS applicacations directly to devices without publishing on the Apple Store.

so, isn't there any control by the Apple Team about the app content ? Can I write anything in the App ?

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
I'm having problems with AC2 (I think).
I downloaded B4i version: 7.20 and installed.
I downloaded BuildServer and installed on my MBP.
I ran old program using both hosted builder and BuildServer - both compiled and installed properly via B4i Bridge to my iPhone Se.
I downloaded AC2 from App Store and installed on MBP.
I installed AC2 Automation Tools.
I signed into my Apple account on AC2.
I checked the "Use AC" in B4i Server Settings
I started the BuildServer on MBP.
I ran old program with "Build Release App" option.
The build transferred to MBP and BuildServer responded with "Success: True, 1" message on Terminal.
I received the following error message in B4i:

B4i Version: 7.20
Parsing code. (0.10s)
Building folders structure. (0.20s)
Compiling code. (0.26s)
Compiling layouts code. (0.01s)
Building Xcode project. (0.17s)
Preparing project for builder. (0.24s)
Project size: 4.01 MB
Error: objc[11123]: Class AMSupportURLConnectionDelegate is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x7fff8ace9a30) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x104f488c0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
objc[11123]: Class AMSupportURLSession is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x7fff8ace9a80) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x104f48910). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
cfgutil: error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "Found non-key inside <dict> at line 112188" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Found non-key inside <dict> at line 112188, kCFPropertyListOldStyleParsingError=Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex}}

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Problem solved. I attribute the error to wifi issues. The AC2 works as advertised! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.