Android Question Is it possible to decompile an installed app?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi to all,
I am getting a little old and not quite sure if this question was asked before.
I install the app in a customer's device, then after the installation I manually delete the apk file from his device..
Question: will it be any level of possibility that a hacker can re-build the app from the installed components?

Hamied Abou Hulaikah

Licensed User
Longtime User
By the way; How can we detect if device is rooted or not programmatically?
Also, how can we force our app to not installed on unrooted devices?

Upvote 0

DavideV

Licensed User
Longtime User
for what i know some apps (ES file explorer i.e.) can rebuild the apk and save it to a backup folder in the device...
Try yourself with that app backing up an installed one from the market. No need root.
To decompile it , after rebuild, there are a lot of online free services.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel and thanks again..

did you notice that I deleted the APK app after installation? my question was about the installed app not the APK.

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel and thanks again..

did you notice that I deleted the APK app after installation? my question was about the installed app not the APK.
When you install an APK, the APK is copied to another folder (/data/app) so it's still on the device. Moreover, when you install manually an application (i.e. not from the Play Store), you cannot benefit from the "forward locking" of JellyBean so your APK can be retrieved easily on a rooted device.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
. Moreover, when you install manually an application (i.e. not from the Play Store), you cannot benefit from the "forward locking" of JellyBean so your APK can be retrieved easily on a rooted device.

Thanks informatix,

So can I understand that, unlike Windows, Android installation is just like DOS "Copy"? and what will happen if I manually deleted the APK copy from that directory? or it's impossible to do so?

Upvote 0

JTmartins

Licensed User
Longtime User
if you delete the apk from all folders in the device..then your application won't be on the device anymore. All classes, etc..are in the apk file. No apk..No application.

the apk is the app.

Upvote 0

cbal03

Licensed User
Longtime User
My current app checks a remote database for version on start up. If a new version is indicated then the app shows the new version info and gives a download button. Once download is complete an install button is given. tapping the install button starts the install process. When the app is run it checks the download folder for the apk and deletes it. You do not have to leave the downloaded apk on the device in order to run the installed app.

Upvote 0

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi to all,
I am getting a little old and not quite sure if this question was asked before.
I install the app in a customer's device, then after the installation I manually delete the apk file from his device..
Question: will it be any level of possibility that a hacker can re-build the app from the installed components?

Look also THIS

Upvote 0