Wish Looking for newer than 8yr-old MacOS Install instructions

Sean88

Licensed User
Okay, so I just purchased B4I, thinking great... I can have this gem on my MacOS too.

The install instructions are 8 years old, referencing Java versions that old.
(Pretend I don't know ANYTHING about Java, except that I get a JDK.dmg, and it sets Java up on the MacOS, or on Windows I make sure C:\Java\JDKsomeVer exists.)

I download the B4I.exe that I am sent a link too... and its a Windows app... not a MacOS app.
So are you saying I have to do B4X development only on Windows?
And then use this B4iBuildServer.jar in combo with what XCode? (Haven't got to those instructions yet.)

Kinda not what I expected I was buying.
But I'll roll with it... IF it all works with the latest MacOS and iOS versions... actually works... not one of these half-ass Microsoft Windows Xamarin toolchains... or a half-ass Linux toolchain that works for one specific setup, and the developer declares himself a genius.

I'll start with everything B4X over on Windows... and go from there.
But if someone would please let me know what current state of the MacOS installation is (and I guess build process too).
Thanks.

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I download the B4I.exe that I am sent a link too... and its a Windows app... not a MacOS app.
B4X is only available for windows.
So are you saying I have to do B4X development only on Windows?
Yes. Or you can use Paralell's desktop with Windows 11 on your Mac.

Sean88

Licensed User
Okay, so all 4 B4X RAD tools are Windows only.
I already reached quickly where B4I was looking for the Remote Builder... and I understand that.

What about the Java JDK and JFX(?) version?
👉Does that have to stay at the OpenJDK 11 combo that the Windows Instructions helpfully point to and place together?
👉For the MacOS Builder, do I need it to have the same version of Java JDK & JFX as the B4I portion on Windows?

FYI, there are no easily obtained images of Windows to use under Parallels for anyone using the new Apple M1 & M2 "Apple Silicon" ARM chips.
The Parallels RDP client, and the Jump Desktop Fluid/RDP/VNC clients work fine on MacOS to reach Windows machines, which can be had for so low a price now, its better to leave all that crap on its own machine than waste an M1 & M2 machine kludge-running Windows. (Yes... Windows under Parallels on an Apple Intel i7 chip will give you the fastest Windows machine I've ever seen, but I bought new Apple hardware before the M2 was out, and the M1 chip is faster and cooler than any i7 I have ever used.)

Okay, so my brand new $350 Windows machine with an AMD Ryzen 7, will be part of my development tools future, and not just a cheap server. ✅

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Does that have to stay at the OpenJDK 11 combo that the Windows Instructions helpfully point to and place together?
You need Java 8 or 11 on the Windows computer. I recommend OpenJdk 11 (for all B4X platforms).

You need Java 8 or 11 on the Mac computer. JavaFX is not needed and it doesn't need to match the Windows version.