iOS Question M1 processor any good?

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm considering a mac with M1 also to do local builds.

I found some issues when building regarding passwords/keychain but I don't seem to find and answer on whether this issue was/could be solved ?

Is the M1 really that fast (thus also for building an iOS project) ?

thanks!

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
My experience so far has been very good.
M1 processor is fast and works great with Windows 10 ARM in Parallels Desktop and B4i including local compilation/building and local simulator.
Enviroment:
  • MacBookAir(M1, 8GB)
  • Parallels Desktop 16
  • Windows 10 ARM
  • B4i 7.50
  • xCode 12.5.1
  • Simulator
  • jdk11 (OpenJava)
  • Local Builder 7.50

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyone who can compare the build speed of an M1 to a previous model ?
I'm currently running on a Mac mini i5 of 2014 (8 GB - SSD) and b4i in parallels. Especially when I'm also running a simulator on the Mac, the system becomes slow.

Would it be much faster with an M1 or would it just be struggling with the memory ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyone who can compare the build speed of an M1 to a previous model ?
I'm currently running on a Mac mini i5 of 2014 (8 GB - SSD) and b4i in parallels. Especially when I'm also running a simulator on the Mac, the system becomes slow.

Would it be much faster with an M1 or would it just be struggling with the memory ?

Thanks

Before I've bought my Macbook Air M1(8GB, SSD), I've worked on a Macbook Air Intel 1.6GHZ (16GB, SSD) and between these two Macbook a two different worlds of work experience. The MBA with Intel chip struggled of performance, I had often to wait till the simulator opened, fan has often permanent worked, MBA with M1 has no fan. Performance of Parallels it self was bad, often I had to wait when I typed my code down - was often not fluently, not the feeling working on a real device. Since my MBA with M1 parallels it feels like a real PC. Also the battery life time is much better than on the intel based macbook air. I can't provide any measured values for comparison, only my personal experience.The only significant disadvantage in the future could be if MS does not develop or support Windows ARM further.

Last edited:
Reactions: wl
Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have timed how long it takes to start the development environment on MBA M1 at the same time.

- Open xxx.b4i file by double click, this will automatically start Parallels Desktop 16(Win10ARM) and the B4i development environment.
- Simultaneous start of the simulator with iPhone 12 Pro Max
- And start the B4iServer

After about 40 seconds I am ready to start programming.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Before I've bought my Macbook Air M1(8GB, SSD), I've worked on a Macbook Air Intel 1.6GHZ (16GB, SSD) and between these two Macbook a two different worlds of work experience. The MBA with Intel chip struggled of performance, I had often to wait till the simulator opened, fan has often permanent worked, MBA with M1 has no fan. Performance of Parallels it self was bad, often I had to wait when I typed my code down - was often not fluently, not the feeling working on a real device. Since my MBA with M1 parallels it feels like a real PC. Also the battery life time is much better than on the intel based macbook air. I can't provide any measured values for comparison, only my personal experience.The only significant disadvantage in the future could be if MS does not develop or support Windows ARM further.

Are you saying that your MacBook Air with M1 with 8GB of RAM was quite capable of running a parallels Windows (B4I) together with Xcode and an iPhone simulator ?
Much (?) better that your Intel MacBook that had twice the RAM ?
Thanks

Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you saying that your MacBook Air with M1 with 8GB of RAM was quite capable of running a parallels Windows (B4I) together with Xcode and an iPhone simulator ?
Much (?) better that your Intel MacBook that had twice the RAM ?
Thanks

Exactly

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just wondering whether it would still make sense to go for the M1 with 16GB ... any suggestions ? :)

Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just wondering whether it would still make sense to go for the M1 with 16GB ... any suggestions ? :)
I had the same question to my self, and I take the risk to save the money for the 16 gb and bought the 8 GB, and what should I say, I'm absolutely happy with my decision. For that I've invested the money in a mac mini with M1. And now I have two device one for station and one for mobility. The mac mini M1 I have bought with 16 GB - more for working with Photos and Graphics. But not installed the development environment on it yet. Maybe this could be a good ideas to do that and compare MBA M1(8GB) with MacMini M1(16GB) and share my experience here. The recommendation for you from me, if you have not to care of the money than take 16GB, if this is your only computer - safety for the future. But it is no need for developing with B4i, Parallels, Simulator and xCode currently. But what if MS deliver Win11 oder Win12 and then maybe in 3 or 4 years you be happy if you have invested in 16 GB instead buying a new Mac. In most cases you can work on a Mac more then 5 years sometimes longer. As often a difficult question, than each user use the computer in different ways and with a different set of applications.

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After about 40 seconds I am ready to start programming.
And my Intel MacBook Pro 13 2019 starts after 40 seconds the turbines to fly into space and could keep 4 households warm in winter...

I am very excited about the new models this year with M1X processor. This time I don't save money on the hardware, it's really depressing when you have to wait forever until something has loaded...

Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
What Java JDK did you install on the M1 ?

java version "1.8.0_191"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode)

or

openjdk version "15.0.2" 2021-01-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 15.0.2+7-27)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 15.0.2+7-27, mixed mode, sharing)

Both versions and installations works well together with B4iBuildServer 7.50

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
java version "1.8.0_191"

or

Any suggestion where to find/download them ? I currently have openjdk version "1.8.0_302".

The B4iBuildServer runs, but I think this version could be causing the issuing I'm having "Import file format"

Thanks

Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Any suggestion where to find/download them ? I currently have openjdk version "1.8.0_302".

The B4iBuildServer runs, but I think this version could be causing the issuing I'm having "Import file format"

Thanks
What does you mean with "Import file format" ? Could you attach a small example or describe more in detail, that I maybe have the possibility to try it on my java versions to see if this versions are a options for you or we have to search in another place for the issue.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
What does you mean with "Import file format" ? Could you attach a small example or describe more in detail, that I maybe have the possibility to try it on my java versions to see if this versions are a options for you or we have to search in another place for the issue.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your continuous help ! Meanwhile I installed another JDK (OpenJDK) and I still have the problem I describe in the other topic (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/seckeychainitemimport-unknown-format-in-import.133821/)

I have no clue on how to solve it.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
java version "1.8.0_191"

or

Hi Mike,

Just to make sure: where did you download the JDK from ?

Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Mike,

Just to make sure: where did you download the JDK from ?
Hi,
I've just updated quick my Mac mini to this version and it works with b4ibuildserver.
=> JDK 16
Download the tar file and extract it. The extracted folder jdk-16.02.2.jdk then move to
Mac-mini/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

in Terminal windows you should have after call java -version this result.
openjdk version "16.0.2" 2021-07-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 16.0.2+7-67)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0.2+7-67, mixed mode, sharing)

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Reinstalling everything: a few checks:
- build server: 64 bit ?
- I sometimes have some confusing IP's (on B4i-Builder and on B4i) because parallels sets up an internal DHCP (10.x.x.x). What do you have as an IP of your buildserver ?
- installed Apple Configurator 2 and installed the tools: but you would still need to be able to build a B4i-Bridge ?

As always: thanks !

Upvote 0

mike2ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Reinstalling everything: a few checks:
- build server: 64 bit ?
- I sometimes have some confusing IP's (on B4i-Builder and on B4i) because parallels sets up an internal DHCP (10.x.x.x). What do you have as an IP of your buildserver ?
- installed Apple Configurator 2 and installed the tools: but you would still need to be able to build a B4i-Bridge ?

As always: thanks !
b4ibuildserver setting: IP Adress ist the address from the terminal windows of the b4ibuildserver. The IP is the same as the mac Wifi ip adress.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-28 um 18.19.55.png

Parallels network setting I set to "shared network (recommended)" the ip adress in parallels (cmd ipconfig) is complete different from ip address local mac.
I'm not working with B4i-Bridge anymore, only using Apple Configurator 2 with device connected by cable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0